‘In Poor Taste’ lives up to title

I’ve been a big Badger Herald fan throughout my college career at the University of Wisconsin. Who doesn’t love the Wednesday shout-outs, or the always funny “White Bread and Toast”? And I think the Sudoku was one of the only things that kept me awake enough to pass my management and operations class. In four years (and now starting a fifth as a graduate student) The Badger Herald has never let me down. That is, until Thursday (Sept. 20). As someone whose best friend — we’ll call him Joe — is currently fighting with the army in Baghdad, I was so upset to see the “In Poor Taste” comic showing Sarge holding a dead Beetle Bailey that I was literally brought to tears. OK, I get it — it’s supposed to be a satire. The comic is called “In Poor Taste,” right? Very funny, ha ha. Last week, Joe was attacked when out on a patrolling mission. One of the trucks was hit with an IED. Two people were seriously hurt. One has a smile that kills the ladies. Now he also has no legs. The other guy lost both legs, an arm and his voice box. On top of that, three people died. One was instantly killed when some shrapnel hit him. The second burned alive in the truck because the fire was too hot to get him out. The third guy lost both legs — one at the hip, one below the knee. He bled to death in Joe’s arms while they were trying to get him back to base. It’s not very funny anymore, is it? I’m all for free press and free speech. But there’s a line between opposing or protesting the war and simple respect for people who are actually dying. And whether or not you support why our soldiers are in Iraq, if you’re a U.S. citizen, or living in the United States, those soldiers are in your army. They are fighting — losing legs, arms and voice boxes — for you. They are dying for you. To see this comic poking fun at that struggle is an insult. It’s an insult to our soldiers, to me and it should be to you as well. What really threw salt in the wound, if you will, is the fact that the cover of The Badger Herald featured a story about bipartisan support for our troops. The Badger Herald’s front page shows the Republicans and the Democrats, who got over themselves long enough to show support, honoring the fallen troops, and the back page of it is mocking them. Disgusting. Ashley Muehlbauer Master's of Accountancy [email protected]