Comic misrepresents Greeks

On behalf of the Panhellenic Association and the Interfraternity Council, two of the four governing bodies in the Greek Community at the University of Wisconsin, we are regretfully responding to the "Gyrating Hag" comic from the Sept. 11, 2007 issue. We, as members and leaders in the Greek system, saw this comic as cruel and offensive. It was not humorous and appears to have been printed with malicious intent. It is disheartening to see the portrayal of fraternity men threatening to destroy the home of a new fraternity. It is even more disappointing that they are defaming a fraternity for progressive men. This is not what Greek life stands for. Greek life stands for strong community service, self-improvement, scholarship, leadership and friendship. The Greek community is extremely diverse — comprising all shapes, colors, sizes and sexual orientations. As a community, we pride ourselves on our ability to welcome anyone who desires to be a part of our organization. We are extremely proud of our latest addition, Delta Lambda Phi. Though we advocate freedom of the press, the comic was an unprovoked attack on the Greek community, especially fraternities. Not only did the community find this comic hurtful, many students question the journalistic integrity of someone who finds humor in putting another down. Why this person felt the need to attack such a large and productive organization is unknown. Furthermore, the Greek community on our campus has strict zero tolerance policies on hazing. If hazing is discovered, the chapter faces harsh repercussions, such as expulsion from campus. To prevent such occurrences, there is a Greek Judicial Board as well as the Vice Presidents of Risk Management, organizations for both men and women. There is also a multitude of programming promoting safety and awareness within our community. As a paper that prides itself on reflecting the interests and tastes of UW students, it is imperative to rethink portrayals of student organizations, even in the comic section. The comic wasn't humorous; rather, it was offensive, cruel and tremendously inaccurate. Student organizations are some of your largest supporters, but with false and vindictive assertions such as this, these organizations may think twice about their readership. Mollie Shambeau Vice president of public relations and communications for the Panhellenic Association UW senior, retailing and family and consumer journalism [email protected] Sarah Anderson President of the Panhellenic Association UW senior majoring in political science and social work Drew Willert President of the Interfraternity Council UW senior majoring in business