Madison police only make things worse

Before condemning UW students it is of the utmost importance that the Badger Herald ensures that the facts on which they are reporting are indeed correct. Yes, someone had tried to tear down the plastic “tent” in front of Acacia. The altercation occurred once Baker and Schorfheide, brandishing a machete and a pitchfork, approached the group of students. We, being the four arrested UW students, put an end to the situation ourselves after a brief exchange of words and went our separate ways. The Police arrived well after the altercation was completely finished and did absolutely nothing to, in the words of editor Courtney Johnson, “quickly quell the altercation.” The Police arrested Christensen and Halkias as they were entering their residence. Based on a description of the armed students, the Police found Baker and Schorfheide back in their fraternity house and arrested them. The altercation was settled well before the Police ever became involved, and the actions of the Madison Police only further exacerbated a small altercation between students that had been previously resolved once all parties decided to use a little common sense. '

Matthew Christensen
UW Senior