Diverse experiences make Woods best choice

I was discouraged to see on Thursday that the Badger Herald Editorial Board failed to recognize a discernible difference between District 8 aldermanic candidates Lauren Woods and Eli Judge. A quick look at the websites of the two candidates reveals numerous distinctions between the two in policy ideas, community support, and personal characteristics.

In contrast to Thursday's editorial, I think this election needs to be about the future and not the past. The failure to see the differences between Woods and Judge probably stems from a very campus-focused approach to the two campaigns. They both offer a considerable amount of rhetoric concerning campus safety, they both oppose the Downtown Density Plan, and they both speak of continuing to support the Madison Metro bus system. I think Lauren's more diverse experiences, including experience inside City Hall, will make her a more effective advocate on these issues of agreement.

Distinctions between Lauren and Eli truly emerge in consideration of issues that will have an impact on the entire city. This is where Lauren stands head and shoulders above her opponent. Throughout this campaign, she has been the only candidate to discuss expanding civil rights, protecting pedestrians on campus, and developing more infrastructure for bike transit throughout the community. Eli has also shown that he's good at mimicking Lauren's issues, like putting out a campus safety plan only after Lauren did. That's why Lauren has earned the exclusive endorsements of Mayor Dave, the Sierra Club, the Affordable Housing Action Alliance, Democracy for Wisconsin, and numerous other elected officials and organizations. I encourage all students to support Lauren Woods before April 3!

Matt Donoghue '03
Political Science