That just ain’t right: Libby will evade justice

Sorry about missing last week — midterms. After looking at the comments from my last column, my numbers are better than the current administration's. The replies from last week's article were split about 50-50. I think that is a good thing.

I would, at this time, like to personally thank both of my readers. I must say I am a bit disappointed that the article didn't provoke more comments. I would have thought you all were more politically enlightened, or at least more opinionated.

This week is a bit of a potpourri of things that "just ain't right!" In our first case, a policy I spoke about some time ago that just wasn't right has recently been corrected!

But how much has it really changed? District Attorney Brian Blanchard announced a change in policy March 9. The district attorney's office will no longer criminally prosecute the possession of small amounts of marijuana.

I would like to personally congratulate the district attorney's office for the forward thinking they have shown when considering this politically delicate subject. However, the question that comes to mind is: Can, or will, announcing a new policy really change anything?

Has any chief of police in Dane County commented on this change? Have the police on the beat been officially notified of this policy change? Or have they even been unofficially notified? Wink, wink…

Have any new police policies been drafted to educate the officers on the streets — and the public — about how this policy shift should affect the police daily work on the beat? Are any educational materials being developed in an effort to explain and define the scope and limitations of this policy change as it relates to the students on campus and the general public? In fact, can anyone give me any concrete answer to the question of how this announcement in and of itself will change anything? How do we politely ask for additional clarification on this subject and from whom?

Next, up on the docket: Scooter Libby's conviction. What can I say? Either you love him or you hate him! And I don't really care. Here is the point, in my humble opinion: The joke ultimately is on you. This is why: The past doesn't exist. The only things that exist are the present and all potential futures. So let us look at the most probable possible futures of this situation.

One: Mr. Libby is sentenced to 12 to 18 months and a 50 cent fine. Two: "Our leader!" will grant a pardon. Three: The prosecutor will threaten a harsh sentence to entice Mr. Libby to spill the beans and implicate higher-ranking officials. Or the prosecutor will threaten a harsh sentence to entice Mr. Libby to spill the beans, and then "our leader!" will grant a pardon. Or four: The defense files an appeal, loses and then "our leader!" will grant a pardon.

That is about it. Any of the above scenarios ultimately make you, me, all of us the brunt of a dirty little joke, and it's about time we figure it out. Tell me what you think. If it's convincing, I have been known to publicly change my mind about any given question.

I want to know what you all find wrong in your worlds. I think you know about something that "just ain't right!" Let's talk about it. And remember, just like in the movie "What Dreams May Come," we all paint our own heavens and hells. So is this moment in your life heaven or your hell?

Bill Klousie is a junior majoring in journalism and zoology. Send your comments and story ideas to [email protected].