President Bush's trip to Latin America disingenuous, selfish

It is hard to believe that anything would be on the president's mind these days besides the business of patching up his disastrous war in addition to trying to calm the uproarious domino effect of failure that has followed it (see: Walter Reed, Scooter Libby, etc.). Yet as Mr. Bush arrives in Sao Paulo, Brazil, this morning to embark on the longest tour of Latin America in his presidency, I'm convinced that he has actually been taking a little time out of his days of late to think about something else for a change: himself. With just a little more than 22 months left in office, Mr. Bush has officially entered "legacy season." And for those of you unfamiliar with this presidential phase, it is that rare and coveted period when a second-term president gives up on earning support at home (good idea, George) and tries to gain favorable standing with the history books by chalking up easy policy victories abroad. Yet for this president, victories at home or abroad are few and far between, and none of them has been easy. Billed as a "tour against extremism" in the region, the most recent obstacle to Mr. Bush's success is none other than the president of a country with only one-10th the population of the United States and with a per-capita GDP that ranks 90th in the world — Venezuela's Hugo Chávez Fr?