Climate change more than warming

Dear Editor,

First of all I would like to thank Monty Rohde for his comic in Wednesday's Badger Herald. I too have become increasingly frustrated with peoples use of horribly illogical arguments such as, Wisconsin can get a bit chilly to refute the facts of Global Warming. As a sophomore and a new student this semester, after spending the past year working in Florida with AmeriCorps, this cold does take some getting used to again. Yet we cannot ignore what is happening to our environment and we must start taking responsibility for our actions.

In January of 06 I left UW-LaCrosse to join AmeriCorps and work for the Florida Park Service. I learned first hand how we are destroying our environment and all of the wonderful creatures that inhabit it. Many times during my service I felt completely helpless and frustrated with the amount of ignorance in light of all the evidence supporting global warming. Upon my return to school, I hoped to find people who are more aware of their actions because they are better educated about the effects of wastefulness. I am sorely disappointed to see the neglect of energy management on campus. I have found that even simple tasks like turning out the lights or turning off computers when they aren't being used is overlooked all over campus.

Also, in response to Ryan Hill's article about Teach for America; AmeriCorps; Peacecorps, and Student Conservation Association are all excellent ways for college students to make a huge impact, whether it is in fields of environment, education, or housing. I want to make sure that all students here at Madison know that they can make a difference even if a large time commitment is not your thing. Campus organizations such as WISPRIG run several campaigns that need serious campus interest, support, and help. Even just a few hours a week of volunteering, talking to your friends about societies needs, or turning off your lights can make a huge difference.

Sincerely,

Tony Uhl
Sophomore B.A.
History/Environmental Studies