If a tree falls in a forum…

Earlier this week, the University of Wisconsin wrapped up the last of three visits from candidates hoping to be the next dean of students. Because the position has such a direct effect on students, UW officials wisely chose to include a forum in which students could meet and evaluate each candidate.

While we welcomed the opportunity and accordingly attended all three forums, we were greatly disappointed by what we saw. It was not the performances of the candidates that bothered us, but rather the complete lack of preparation and involvement on the part of UW administrators in ensuring the forums’ productivity.

We are disappointed in the absence of the decision makers — specifically Chancellor John Wiley and Provost Patrick Farrell — at any of the student forums. After months of searching for a dean who will work well with the student body, they decided to pass up a great opportunity to see firsthand — and not through online feedback — how each candidate interacted with students.

Furthermore, we seriously question the wisdom of holding these forums at the Multicultural Student Center. By using a particular interest group’s office to host the forums, the discussion was inherently tilted toward the group's own subset of concerns. While issues of multiculturalism and race are unquestionably important and relevant to the position, because of the format they were given a disproportionate amount of consideration.

Students, administrators and candidates would have been better served to see the event in a more notable location than the second floor of the Red Gym. Memorial Union, Union South or any of the residence halls would have been a far better locale — one where all campus interest groups would be allowed an equal opportunity, and one where passers-by could easily drop in.

On another note, we are also disappointed with the Associated Students of Madison, UW's student government body. As the premier representative of UW students, ASM Chair Dylan Rath seemingly had no questions or concerns regarding the next dean of students. And after the third forum, he told a Badger Herald reporter ASM will not endorse a candidate because he doubts the group can come to a consensus. While other student leaders peppered the candidates with pointed questions and follow-ups, Mr. Rath did not make his presence known — and certainly did not advocate for his constituents.

Hopefully it will be many years before UW needs to host another one of these forums. But when that time comes, we hope the administration and student government give the process much more thought and preparation.