Dems field diverse candidates

Only three short months have passed since the last major election. The recently seated Democratic Congress has only governed for one month, and spring electoral campaigns are beginning to ramp up efforts to drive out the student vote for local candidates in April. Yet with the presidential primaries less than a year away, it is already time to start looking to the next national election when Americans will elect the 44th president of the United States.

Our neighbors in Iowa will soon be inundated with literature, phone calls, campaign visits and living-room conversations with those desiring to serve as the next leader of the free world. Both Democrats and Republicans will face difficult decisions, as neither party will have an incumbent president or vice president at the top of the ticket; this completely open contest is the first of its kind since 1928.

This competition is exactly what makes the future so exciting. Members of the College Democrats had the opportunity to travel to Washington, D.C., last week to attend the Democratic National Committee Winter Meeting, at which the Democratic candidates, including Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, spoke to party faithful. For some, this opportunity solidified leanings toward a particular candidate, while others left with more questions.

The field of candidates vying for the Democratic nomination is incredibly qualified to fix the problems President Bush created. With a worsening deficit, an escalation of the Iraq war on the horizon, and a host of other serious issues from health care to homeland security to global warming, America is yearning for strong leadership that prioritizes the needs of average people before political games.

However, another encouraging truth was clear at the meeting. The Democratic Party is putting forth the most diverse set of candidates in history, underscoring that the Democratic Party is one of inclusion and forward-looking progress.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson was re-elected last November with 79 percent of the vote. The child of an American and a Mexican, Richardson went on to serve as a congressman, ambassador to United Nations and U.S. Secretary of Energy. Richardson points to his experience in both domestic concerns and international affairs. As governor, he improved education, built a high-wage economy, expanded access to health care and invested in renewable energy. He also has negotiated with some of the world's most notorious rulers, including Saddam Hussein. Some question whether Richardson has the charisma to succeed in a race dominated by star power. Richardson, should he be elected, will be the first Hispanic president.

New York Sen. Hillary Clinton certainly needs no introduction. The former first lady was overwhelmingly re-elected by New York last fall and points to her leadership on homeland security as well as her advocacy for children, families and women's rights as strengths of her candidacy. As first lady, she fought for a groundbreaking universal health-care proposal that ultimately did not succeed. However, Hillary points to her Senate experience, which has given her the political smarts to accomplish health-care reform as president. As one of the two stars in the race, many Democrats are incredibly excited about her candidacy, though some seriously question her choice to vote for the Iraq war.

Barack Obama, a U.S. senator from Illinois, has commanded the greatest excitement in the race so far. Drawing large crowds during campaign events over two years from the actual election, Obama appears poised to do very well with young people; he has over 220,000 supporters in a Facebook group. The son of a Kenyan and a Kansan, Obama went on to become the first African-American president of the Harvard Law Review. Throughout his political career, he has brought Democrats and Republicans together for a greater common good. Obama is also noted for his oratorical prowess and star-power charisma, and is considered by many to be one of the most inspiring candidates to run for the presidency in a generation. Though some question his experience, others point out the last three-term Illinois state senator elected president was none other than Abraham Lincoln. (Full disclaimer: At this point, I support Barack Obama).

Richardson, Clinton and Obama are just three of the fantastic choices facing voters. While nothing is ever certain in politics, it is heart-warming to see the Democratic frontrunners represent marked change from the past. Even if neither of these three prevails, the sole fact that they are able to run serious campaigns highlights the progress in our party, and the country, as well. Ultimately, any of the Democratic candidates will excel, but there is a good chance that our next president will be something different. Will the 44th time be the charm? We're about to find out.

Andrew Gordon ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in political science. He is the communications chair for the UW-Madison College Democrats.