Weekend in Washington highlights Iraq war outrage

This is part one of a two-part series.

WASHINGTON — "I did this once during Vietnam, and I'm disappointed I had to come back again."

As I boarded a bus bound for D.C. Friday morning, these were among the first words heard from the legions of Vietnam-era protesters on board. Despite the Bush Administration's best efforts to suppress any invocation of the disastrous war that forever jaded American perceptions of its government, the parallels have built a bridge from Wisconsin to Washington. From old to young, socialist to capitalist, activist to militant, the UW Campus Antiwar Network filled three busloads of folks willing to travel 17 hours to protest the Iraq war.

Many of the organizers of this protest, the people who believe in our system most — who believe that nonviolent petition to government can lead to political change — are ironically Socialist leaders. I spent most of my time in D.C. shadowing longtime Badger Herald contributor and campus International Socialist Organization leader Chris Dols. I picked his brain for a large portion of the 17-hour bus ride, and surprisingly didn't notice feverish hate or hostility toward conservatives or our government. His belief that capitalism by its nature inspires countries to compete for resources makes him more optimistic about human nature than I am. I think we are programmed to fight.

Dols addressed the riders as we departed, calling this demonstration "the first step" toward a withdrawal from Iraq. Judging by the estimated 200,000 in attendance — double what was expected — Americans are beginning to find the optimism that keeps Dols going. These weren't busloads of malcontents and vagabonds, just regular folks who recognize the real-life consequences of capitalism's "market failures." The people I interviewed didn't claim to have the answer to capitalism's problems, nor were a majority even Socialist. Yes, it sounds bizarre that political radicals are a most optimistic bunch, but many attendees give politicians far too much credit. Some claim the United States achieved its civil rights gains through the power of protest, rather than as a backhanded attempt to garner loyalty during the Cold War.

Asking the question, "Why are you here?" opens hours of debate on U.S. policy. Most people here have a command of history that would embarrass the average American — even accounting for the revisionist elements.

The crowd in Washington smelled faintly of weed, with the same people who defined the '60s protesting alongside the young people who will define our generation. Various groups, from campus organizations to Communists and women's rights activists gathered in small contingents around the main speaking platform. Many of those listening to a speech by Salt Lake City mayor Rocky Anderson were misty-eyed as he asked whether "[w]e support the killing, maiming and displacement of hundreds of thousands of people on the basis of lies and ever-changing justification?"

Meanwhile, smaller contingents like the Campus Antiwar Network slowly marched forward with a crescendo of chants, obscuring the mayor's speech for many in attendance. Many of these same chants were practiced on the Metro, to the curious amusement of D.C. natives on board. This moment is a poignant metaphor for the antiwar movement. It is fragmented among many voices, and because nobody hears one thing, the politicians and public receive no clear message. Even liberal hero Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., only managed a written statement that was proudly read by organizers. Further, tensions between the various contingents were evident, as some attendees were concerned about the presence of radical groups obscuring the protest's message.

Q: I noticed on your sign you've got "Fuck the [International Socialist Organization]." What's that about?

A: They use events like this to garner support for their cause, which doesn't even help anyone. It goes completely against my values. … They try to slide their message of socialist assimilation into antiwar rather than acknowledge diversity and actually have an antiwar message.

There is some truth to these criticisms — the Fox News staff makes a point of reporting the radical affiliations of protest organizers. However, Dols and his fellow "revolutionaries" didn't come to D.C. spouting socialist rhetoric, nor did they attempt to convert anyone. Regardless, the name "socialist" makes many people tune out the commonsense reforms they support. Although few support their broader platform, who doesn't believe we must radically rethink our transportation system to remain economically viable?

This protest, and the wide range of patriotic Americans involved tells me the Democrats will come under intense pressure from their left-wing base if they don't do more than pass a nonbinding resolution opposing the Iraq escalation. They ought to start telling these people the truth: Cutting off funding will not leave troops in the field without protection. There are valid reasons to support a gradual withdrawal, and the party must have a real debate about this, rather than insult the intelligence of its constituency.

Bassey Etim ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in political science and journalism.