Taking risks, getting schooled

In an attempt to protect taxpayer dollars, state Rep. Suzanne Jeskewitz, R-Menomonee Falls, has drafted a bill requiring recipients of educational grants to reimburse the state for grades lower than a C in any course.

While the legislation is still in draft form and will likely undergo revisions prior to its introduction, it is particularly alarming considering Rep. Jeskewitz’s influence in the state Legislature and her membership in the Colleges and Universities Committee.

We believe the provisions of the bill are too rigid and would discourage students from entering challenging fields. In an age when America is short on nurses and engineers, it is unwise to create a financial disincentive for students to enter a field where lower grades are commonplace. Intellectual growth and experimentation are part of the college experience and the state should encourage students to push themselves.

Furthermore, the savings from this plan would be meager at best because it would apply to so few students. At UW-Madison, for example, if a student consistently earns below a C-average, he or she will be dismissed from the university. Each individual college within UW-Madison has its own policy for determining whether a student is worth retaining, and this bill would only add an oversimplified apparatus and another layer of bureaucracy to the state financial aid system.

If implemented, this plan is sure to catalyze the descent of struggling students by forcing them to work more hours while they try to improve their GPAs. With so many built-in consequences of bad grades, the state should not further deter low-income students from taking a risk to attend school.

Additionally, the plan could put professors in an awkward position when a student explains that a bad grade could cost him or her hundreds of dollars.

While we are sympathetic to Rep. Jeskewitz’s attempt to save state funds, spending money on education is worth the risk. When considering this bill, legislators should ask themselves: How does this make Wisconsin better?