Principled dialogue vital to progress

From Kevin Barrett to the surprising success of Halloween weekend and the mid-term elections, the fall of 2006 has been a landmark season for The Badger Herald editorial page. We tried to navigate the divide between local and national coverage with a close eye on relevance to the student community, and we are proud that our page was able to represent all sides of the political spectrum. We strongly believe that our nation advances only through educated dialogue between all factions, and as opinion editors, we are honored to be a part of this process.

A good opinion page should act as a community bulletin board. As editors, we just check the grammar and push the pins. If you've been reading the page and have opinions of your own, regardless of your major, we would love to have you on staff. Your ideas are a strand in the tapestry of the UW consciousness, and we want to help you reach the marketplace. So please, use some of your time off to consider joining our team.

We would like to thank all of our departing writers for their dedication to the page by ribbing them now, when they can never respond. Where will these writers be at this very moment next year? Advanced mathematical formulas and weird science technologies allow us to provide the answers. Legendary columnist Adam Lichtenheld will be abroad blaming America first, staffer Frank Hennick will earn a fortune managing an upstart amalgamated amalgamation, Danny Tenenbaum will be satirizing bikers at a Dungeons and Dragons convention, Jeremy Elias' name will officially be changed to Quagmire, Joelle Parks will still be feeding the fish and Ryan Masse will be bare-knuckle boxing with Kevin Barrett in a Tuskegee night club.

As for our future, we have been re-elected for a second term as opinion page editors, and appreciate the massive voter turnout. We look forward to another semester of providing an outlet for your views. And the baby is due in August, so stop asking.