Perpetrators must be held accountable

The most recent sexual assault on North Carroll Street has been made several people question the safety of our campus. On Monday, December 11, 2006, the Badger Herald's caption under its front page picture of North Carroll Street read, "Shadows creep onto Carroll Street where the semester's third sexual assault occurred." While this latest attack is no doubt horrendous and deserves media coverage, the majority of sexual assaults go unreported everyday. Incidents of sexual violence are more prevalent than three times a semester.

In the midst of these highly publicized stranger assaults, it's easy to forget that the majority of sexual assaults occur between acquaintances, in the victim's own home. My heart goes out to all the victims and survivors of sexual assault. Not just to the people who are violently raped by strangers on the street or in an ally, but also to those who are raped by people they know and love in their dorms, at parties and in their own homes. We live in a violent society and that is reflected in the way we think, have, and talk about sex. We also live in a society that does not treat all people equally base on gender, race, class, sexuality, ability, age, ect. This is why sexual assault is not an isolated incident because someone walked alone on a dark street. It is a complex social problem.

Putting up more lights and walking with friends can help keep people safe, but it does not stop the violence. Those efforts only reduce a person's risk of becoming a victim in very specific situations. No one is advocating for lights to be placed in dark corners of private residences, however this is the place where most people are most likely to be sexual assaulted. Lights in public places may help reduce stranger rape, but it will not end sexual violence in our world.

While I do advocate people walk with friends, carry phones, and are careful, this does not change the root of the problem in our culture. Everyone needs to take responsibility to end this societal problem. So, this includes putting up more lights on the streets, walking with friends, and being careful. But, more importantly, it includes treating people with respect. Act if you see a problem. Don't rape. The people who are making bad choices and sexually assaulting others need to be the ones held accountable for their actions on the streets and in our homes.

Danielle Pauk
Senior, Psychology and Women's Studies
UHS Violence Prevention Community Organizer