Diverse ideologies vital to progress

Although the proponents of the Plan 2008 forum on diversity cited mixed results at their last meeting, they really should have said: "Social justice isn't working on campus, but it still can." However, the scope and methods of social justice policies need to change in order for them to succeed.

The University of Wisconsin administration's Plan 2008 attempts to promote ethnic diversity through greater educational access for students of color and through fostering respect and education concerning ethnic and racial diversity. While those goals fall under Plan 2008's umbrella, they cover two completely separate initiatives.

Working for better educational access is mainly the work of the UW administration. Creating a healthy environment for a diverse population is up to the students. We can make progress toward a better campus environment, but educational equality is a long way off.

Equal educational access is further out of reach now than when Plan 2008 started. The ethnic minority population has gone down since 2000, from about 12.3 percent to 10 percent of the student population. Student tuition keeps increasing and UW-Madison still finds only a small percentage of minority students whose high school scores qualify for admission. This isn't the fault of UW-Madison, but rather of equal access to education throughout the state and the nation.

As a single university, we can only do so much to bridge the gap for access. Wisconsin's minority population is well behind the national average. Add to that the percentage cap on out-of-state enrollment at UW-Madison, and the pool of minority students becomes even slimmer. It is obvious that increasing the ethnic and racial minority population at UW-Madison requires an overhaul of state and national education methods before significant change is seen.

Therefore, we must focus work toward social equality here on campus through earnest dialogue and understanding. This is achievable, but not if we keep taking the same approach. The proof is in the dorms.

UW Housing, more than any arm of the UW administration, has worked tirelessly to make the students — most importantly, the white majority — realize the conflicts, discrimination and racism that exist in this country. The effort is admirable, but slightly misguided.

The problem is that their approach focuses on those who already agree with these ideas. Social justice is by its nature a liberal principle. As such, it appeals to the liberal population in Madison, which is the dominant majority. However, many conservatives in the community argue against it for many reasons. They say it's unachievable or that it actually increases the social divide or that it raises the minority population up at the expense of the majority.

Although the points are debatable, the proponents of social justice often take this as an attack rather than a differing viewpoint. Therefore, they often respond by dismissing these views, as they are seen as destructive to the goals of social equality.

One example of this practice came before Halloween. Sellery Hall, along with other dorms, held meetings addressing the celebration. However, Sellery's presentations started with a discussion on offensive or discriminatory costumes. The residents were confronted with pictures of costumes that might be deemed offensive and were asked to discuss them.

Yet, when the students started challenging the notions of what was offensive, facilitators constantly redirected the conversation and dismissed their questions, saying that it wasn't helping. Instead of discussing the costumes, the meeting gave residents the effect of commands, telling them what they couldn't wear. It resulted in many residents marching back to their rooms angrier and more opposed to UW's brand of diversity than ever.

Treating opposition with ostracism and chastisement is contrary to the goals of social justice. Diversity doesn't just apply to who we are, it applies to what we say and believe. There are plenty of assumptions in every student on campus, but if some are treated with suppression, they will remain below the surface until appearing in a far more explosive and dangerous way. Instead, students with these views should be allowed to explain themselves and discuss their own experiences. The existing opinions can only change through honest and non-judgmental discussion.

We have a few places on campus where this is possible. The MSC holds a three-credit class on campus called "Intercultural Dialogue," which may do more for social justice on an individual basis than ethnic studies class at the university. Several housing programs offer and open an honest discussion, as well.

Yet, there is far more work to be done. Our discussion of social justice must always include those who disagree with it. We cannot create a comfortable environment for ethnic and racial diversity until we create an honest one. We must listen to the opposing — and at times, even prejudicial — viewpoints to determine what is and is not creating change. Once both sides of discussion start moving toward more moderate solutions, progress will become real possibility.

Jason Smathers ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in history and journalism.