GOP pandering jettisons agenda

Throughout the 2006 elections, Republicans relied on the tried-and-true tactic of using divisive social issues. For the first time, it failed. Democrats prevailed across the nation as our message of change and forward-looking leadership resonated with voters of all backgrounds. Complemented with candidates who stand up for what is right, the Democratic Party refused to degrade the debate into the culture wars of elections past. Though the Wisconsin ban passed, the results could not speak more clearly: The era of radical social conservatism is nearing an end.

The College Democrats fought against the ban, for stem-cell research and for women's rights — the latest ugly heads of the social issues beast birthed by extremists on the far right fringe and fed by political opportunists in GOP Headquarters. Social issues motivated students to go to the polls in record fashion. Strong youth turnout symbolizes what Republicans should fear — as a result of their socially regressive, mean-spirited "values," Republicans may have permanently lost the votes of an entire generation.

The evidence rests in a dramatic shift in student voting patterns between 2002 and 2006. At the University of Wisconsin, the data is striking. In the 2002 governor's race, a mere 6,589 students voted for Jim Doyle. He won a respectable 65 percent of the vote.

In the interlude, Republican legislators miscalculated that they could win the governorship by pushing "God, Guns and Gays." Instead of focusing on real issues, they placed the ban on the ballot to in an attempt to turn out conservative voters. They pushed a radical bill that barred access to birth control on UW campuses. Republicans also obstructed stem-cell research and attempted to force concealed carry into law over the protests of most law enforcement agencies. Democrats strongly opposed this agenda, and Governor Doyle became a vocal opponent of the amendment. Mr. Doyle was the first sitting Governor in the nation to oppose one of these bans, refusing to champion intolerance for political gain.

Fast-forward to 2006. Mark Green loses 45 percent to 53 percent — a large loss by Wisconsin standards. Turnout at UW increased 66 percent over 2002, and Doyle won 78 percent of the student vote. He increased his statewide margin by 12,900 votes, nearly double the total from 2002. Due in large part to the amendment, UW students turned out in record fashion; more than 85 percent voted "No."

The same phenomenon occurred across the state. As college turnout boomed, four Assembly districts containing UW schools sent their Republican representatives to the unemployment lines — which, combined with four other Democratic pickups, brought what was once a strong, 21-seat Republican majority in the State Assembly down to merely five. Democrats also won a majority in the State Senate. Across the state, a youth trend surfaced: massive turnout, higher-than-normal support for Democrats and incredibly strong opposition to the ban.

So what was different in 2006? Was it just a Democratic year? Or did a combination of social issues cause this "youthquake?" If it was socially motivated, as we believe, the Republican Party may face a bleak future.

Already, the signs are emerging. In 2006, young voters across the country mirrored the Wisconsin trend. Young voters preferred Democrats by 22 points — 12 points more than two years ago. In close contests across America, young people provided devastating blows to Republicans.

Yet the GOP shows no signs of a waning allegiance to its socially extreme masters. Presidential contender John McCain recently remarked that he'd like to see Roe v. Wade overturned. GOP Senators just placed Trent Lott into Senate leadership; four years ago, he praised Republican Strom Thurmond's presidential campaign, which endorsed racial segregation.

These developments come despite fresh defeats of socially extreme Republicans, like Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who equates homosexuality with pedophilia, and Virginia Senator George Allen, who used a racial slur to refer to a staffer of his opponent. It is worth noting that Virginia also passed a marriage ban in 2006. As in Wisconsin, it didn't help Republicans.

Democrats are strong on civil rights and social issues because it's the right thing to do. Now that data demonstrate it doesn't pay to champion bigotry, perhaps the GOP will reconsider its socially radical stances for the good of the citizens of this country. But if not for the common good, perhaps they will consider it for the good of their own party — after all, that mantra has certainly guided them for the past few decades. Either way, if they ever again hope to make a case for leading America, they must abandon these hateful, political games.

It may be too late, however. One GOP pollster believes that an entire generation of young voters is already solidifying into a Democratic voting bloc. If he is correct — the data suggest he is — then the Democratic Party, Wisconsin, and America are in for a very bright — and eventually, fair — future.

Andrew Gordon is a junior majoring in political science. He is the Communications Chair for the UW-Madison College Democrats.