Readers throw ‘bows

In response to "Baldwin set for success" by Sarah Howard:

I, FOR ONE, welcome our new Democratic overlords.

In response to "Lab advances AIDS research" by David O'Connor:

Thank you Dr. O'Connor for your excellent letter. I've heard Mr. Bogle repeatedly make broad statements about the use of animals in research, yet he never provides any meaningful information to back up his assertions. It's about time we heard more of the facts about medical research such as you have provided, and less of Bogle's propaganda.

So rather than studying human populations who are already unfortunately infected and can communicate with us easily about symptoms, lifestyle, etc, the logical thing is to infect a different species who cannot effectively communicate with us and stick them in a stressful, unnatural environment and then call that a better way to conduct science? O'Conner is defending his paycheck with that letter plain and simple. It's sad that so many people will have to suffer for his "science" which seems to be nothing more than emotional manipulation.

In response to "Powell capable, ready for '08" by Gerald Cox:

I wouldn't trust Powell, not after his part in the cover-up of the My Lai Massacre. He's a career military officer and politician who has always sucked up to the Republican Party. What else might he be guilty of?

Current age for social security benefits: 62 Colin Powell: 69 years old John McCain: 70 years old Joe Paterno: 79 years old Years until next president takes office: 2 Years until end of next first term: 6. We should start referring to the White House as "the Old Folks Home."

In response to "Brutality tarnishes badge" by Robert Phansalkar:

The folks who put this video on YouTube decided that they were going to let us see only 19 seconds of the Los Angeles incident. Let's put this in context. These LAPD officers were not sitting around drinking iced tea and watching a video on their computers. They were in a street fight with a suspect.

In response to "Amendment issue boosts Democrat" by Will Smith:

Have you ever noticed that the conservatives always get caught up in issues that will in no way ever affect them? Like the 50-year-old married white men who cry in front of abortion clinics and get tattoos against gay marriage. Global warming, a non-conservative issue, would cause them to trade in their SUVs for something more efficient, and they take no stance on it. Divorce: if anyone actually cared about they state of marriage, they would stop pointing the finger at gays and look in the mirror at divorce. Christians are just as likely to divorce as non-Christians.

In response to "Feingold right to forgo '08 candidacy" by Bassey Etim:

Yes governments role is to solve all our problems for us. Aren't you the happy little socialist. Not sure why Senator Feingold (D-Soros) has dropped out, probably because his Hungarian master already has stalking horses stronger than him in both the D and R side of the ledger.

In response to "New hope for Israel as Hamas falters" by Danny Tenenbaum:

yeah, because Israel is 0% culpable. Hamas is stepping down because the US is blackmailing Palestine with aid. And when you're on the receiving end of barrages of missiles and cluster bombs, you need all the aid you can get. If anything you should congratulate Hamas for putting the well-being of the people before their own political careers, something few in the west would ever do.

Since when did Hamas put the well-being of their own people above their own political careers?

In response to "Give thanks for life's simple joys" by Rob Rossmeissl:

Thanksgiving is about gorging and shopping. Be thankful for Pepto-Bismal and credit cards.

In response to "Sesame street offers unique learning avenues" by Gabbie Wade:

Burt and Ernie are the reason I voted against the gay marriage amendment.

It's nice to read about a situation where American "culture" actually adds to and helps globally. We usually hear about the pernicious affect our cultural gems (ie McDonalds, hip-hop, etc) have on the rest of the world.

In response to "Voting divides, spurs authority" by Bill Anderson:

who describes themselves as a "Social Revolutionary"? I'm sure Che didn't have that printed on business cards. while I agree that the state is the source of all oppression and that voting yields false legitimacy to institutions that exist only to exploit the working class, still… holy crazy.

In response to "Madison vagrants need aid" by Jack Garigliano:

We live hand to mouth. How is it fair that these bums, many of whom are older than the students they harass every day, deserve any sympathy? How is it that we should care about them? Why don't they just go to a large metropolitan area where thousands of people with six-figure incomes actually change to spare? Why persecute poor college students?