Madison vagrants need aid

Ah, the end of the election season. That most bittersweet time of year when the mysterious realm of politics fades away from the foreground of our everyday world and retreats to the confines of newspapers and television, from which the Few, the Brave and Those With Fast-Approaching Article Deadlines continue to ponder that strange entity. Yea, verily, for what nobler thing can the mind ponder than poli…

"Hey, man, how's it going?" a fellow North Lake Street pedestrian asked, interrupting my walking and reverie. I don't recall the rest of the conversation very well; in a nutshell, the man asked me for money (which I didn't have) to buy a sandwich (which he didn't have). When I told him how much money I had on me (none), he requested I buy a sandwich for him. I told him how many credit cards I had (none). He thanked me and continued on his way. I continued on mine.

Anyway, where was I… ah, yes, politics: The vehicle of government, the noblest of creatures, and that which all the cheap metaphors in the world could not hope to reveal the shining glory of.

At this point, something occurred to me. Maybe, just maybe, my head was floating too far up in the clouds for me to see an actual issue staring me right in the face, literally.

I'm referring to homelessness, not panhandling, though panhandlers no doubt constitute the majority of homeless people regularly encountered in Madison. Anyone who has dared venture outside his or her safe little home has no doubt come across at least one panhandler. These unfortunate persons are especially prevalent on State Street, and their strategies range from jingling a sparsely filled coin cup held at arm's length to confronting pedestrians with direct eye contact and a friendly greeting.

The subject of panhandling often stirs up various emotions, including disgust and nervous adherence to political correctness. The more severe critics of sidewalk begging often dismiss such persons as deadbeats, harassers and good-for-nothings.

The more politically inclined may be able to recite a list of every politician planning to run for office in several years or a political party's particular strategy. But no one knows — one may have suspicions based on cultural bias, but she or he doesn't actually know — where the people begging for money come from, how they got here, how hungry they are, where they plan to spend their donations, why they don't have jobs, or why they are willing to stand on a street corner and ask perfect strangers for something they know they can't rightfully expect to receive. Doesn't anyone feel the urge to ask them why they stand and beg?

The fact that panhandlers exist at all should serve as a reminder that there are people who live in poverty, are unemployed and are homeless. And no one lucky enough to attend a university who hasn't worked or interacted with the destitute can so flippantly attribute alcoholism or laziness to bad situations, just as he or she cannot treat the elections and the political process like some twisted baseball game.

It's very easy to forget the humdrum issues we face every day when the frenetic pace of the election comes into play. The mind can only care about so many things at once, and come election year, much of its attention is focused on everything the candidates are doing wrong and, in years like this, certain unnecessary amendments. A mere glance near the lamplights on a crowded street in Madison should remind us of the very people whose opportunities our government must aid in order to maintain its legitimacy.

Jack Garigliano ([email protected]) is a freshman majoring in English.