Mourning a loss

While the rest of the University of Wisconsin campus was going about yesterday like any other day — attending class, studying at the library and going to work — a fellow Badger's life came to an abrupt end.

The 19-year-old student fell from the parking ramp adjacent to the Fluno Center and, after being rushed to the hospital, was pronounced dead late in the afternoon.

Being a college student is unquestionably both stressful and overwhelming at times, and we wish to extend our deepest sympathies to everyone involved in this tragic incident. We can only imagine what it is like to lose a son and a friend under such desperate circumstances.

In the wake of yesterday's events, it is our hope that the rest of the student body is aware of the bounty of resources available on campus for counseling and crisis intervention.

University Health Services offers individual counseling sessions with psychotherapists to discuss issues ranging from stress to depression to drug and alcohol abuse. These meetings are strictly confidential and private; UHS employees cannot legally tell anyone — even parents — about counseling sessions. And group counseling sessions exist for those students who wish to meet and share their problems with other students experiencing similar hardships. No problem is too small; UHS provides trained professionals that are ready to address a range of student needs. Furthermore, UHS counselors are able to recommend other healthcare professionals in the Madison area for further help.

For those who feel healthy but have friends who may be going through a tough time, intervention services and information on prevention techniques are also available. Students, as well as faculty and staff members at UW, can request these services through UHS.

Access to these resources is straightforward: Call UHS at 608-265-5600 to receive additional information about counseling services. This number is also a 24-hour hotline for mental health emergencies.

We urge students to take advantage of all our university has to offer. Whether you are in his circle of friends, a student with a problem of your own or a concerned friend, don't hesitate to ask for help.

The campus is mourning a friend today, and we hope the UW community can recover from the loss and work to prevent future tragedies.