It’s Nov. 9, now what do we do?

Last night taught us more than a few things about the future of our state and our country. As the results were announced state by state and district by district, it became increasingly evident that the Democrats had pulled it off and won the majority of the House of Representatives and — after slight delay — achieved complete domination by obtaining the majority in the Senate, also.

So the victory party was had, the tears of those across the aisle were shed, but now what? Republicans had held out hope in maintaining control of the Senate, but with those dreams shattered, it leaves us with nothing else to do than wonder what it all means, where we will go from here and how excited we should really be.

In Wisconsin, the predictions are much easier to make. Gov. Jim Doyle will continue to do what's right for the state, paying attention to both the cost of education and the future of stem-cell research on campus. Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin faces the tough challenge of proving her effectiveness in Congress, after critics have faulted her for getting little done over the past eight years. With the majority in her favor, though, it is more probable that Ms. Baldwin will be able to make the most of her time in Washington.

After a close race and a narrow victory, newly elected Republican Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen will feel the heat if he goes against his promises of bringing bi-partisanship to the position. Sooner or later, he will surely be faced with a decision that conflicts with his personal beliefs, challenging his ability to stand strong and maintain neutrality.

The saddest of all the results, though, lies in the passage of the gay-marriage amendment. Pro-ban sentiment was predominant almost everywhere outside of Dane County, and the map shown on local television broadcasts only proves that University of Wisconsin students live in a liberal bubble far removed from the rest of the state. The ban's approval will lead to exactly what its critics predicted: Discrimination will be written into our state Constitution. The death penalty referendum also passed, and the state will wait to see if legislators decide to take action on the overwhelming support for its reinstatement — for the first time since 1853 — when DNA evidence is applicable.

As for the rest of the country, Nancy Pelosi, soon to be the first female Speaker of the House in history, did not even try to hide her pure and well-deserved excitement. She, like many notable Democrats, interprets yesterday's vote as a resounding and important message directed at none other than President Bush. The country has spoken, they say, and after watching hours upon hours of political commentary, I fell asleep late last night to scores of analysts asserting that America has spoken out against the war in Iraq, and something must be — and now will be — accomplished.

So, as we sit and wait to hear the official results of the remaining toss-up elections, we can happily and confidently direct our attention to Pelosi's most recent assertions of what she plans to do when she finally keeps the House gavel in her possession (she has had to twice hand it off to Republican leaders). With the power in her hands — quite literally — what will Pelosi do?

There is undoubtedly an epic to-do list somewhere on Pelosi's desk, but there is no question that the war in Iraq is high in priority. Given what political analysts have already said about the new majority, Pelosi promised in several news articles today that the public can look forward to seeing pressure placed on Bush to begin "phased deployment" of troops in Iraq, as well as beginning to allow Iraqis "to take greater responsibility for their own nation."

And the other items on the list? Reversing the ban on federal funding for stem-cell research, reducing prescription drug costs and generally improving the economic status of the country — including funding for education and minimum wage hikes. Although she has repeatedly rejected the idea of attempting to impeach Bush, Pelosi has been adamant that as soon as she steps foot in the Capitol as "Madam Speaker," integrity and dignity will be at the forefront of her agenda.

So here we are, just days after the election and still in one piece. We have a confident and capable woman leading the Democrat cause, not to mention an agenda that is as exciting as it is necessary. So sit back and enjoy, this ride won't be quite as bumpy.

Emily Friedman ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism and legal studies.