Womens issues at forefront

With Election Day upon us, and the polls just hours away from closing, we have all been urged time and time again to vote. Showing up at the polls, they say, is our duty, our right and something we simply must do. And, in what seems to be an assertion that is made every election season, our vote in this election is more important than ever, as the issues on the ballot will undeniably affect us and are certain to alter the shape of our government.

That is all fair and even somewhat predictable, but I often find the various "Go vote" sentiments overly general, all encompassing and void of any specific reasons why we should vote. As a young woman, why does it matter if I vote? Is it really that important if I cast a ballot on Election Day? It is. It has become evident that not only is it important for young women like myself to vote on issues pertaining to the rights we maintain over our bodies, but furthermore, those "Go vote" advocates were right — it is more important than ever for women of all ages to get out and vote this Election Day.

Let's first look at the numbers. Women make up more than half of the American population. According to studies conducted by the Pew Research Center, women have equaled or outnumbered male voters in the elections held between 1996 and 2004. Despite this, women are among the last to decide to vote; women made up 63 percent of swing voters in the 2004 presidential election. Also, 25.8 percent of Wisconsin state legislators are female, ranking Wisconsin No. 18 in a list of states with the highest percentage of female state legislators.

If so many women are voting, why are there so few of us in government, and moreover, why is there still a Republican majority? The answer is simple: In the past two elections, many women have become "security moms," or voters who increasingly support Republican candidates who they believe will do the best job in keeping America (and their families) safe. These women, often residing in suburban areas, are likely to return this year to the Democratic side of the ticket, and will therefore seriously challenge the Republican stronghold so many of us are anxious to uproot. In fact, according to an additional poll by Pew for The Washington Post, women are more likely to vote Democratic in this election than they have been since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

No, most of the female UW students are not mothers, nor do we fit into profile of a "security mom." The phenomenon, though, is a powerful example of the far-reaching capabilities of women who do vote, and shows how these politically active women directly affect the outcome of elections.

With the Wisconsin election in mind, there are several candidates who should make women more eager than ever to head to the polls. Both Wisconsin Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin and Wisconsin attorney general candidate Kathleen Falk are women whose political alignment favors women's rights. On the other side of the spectrum, gubernatorial candidate U.S. Rep. Mark Green is wholly against anything that may improve or defend women's stance in society, and is so extreme that women could use him alone as a reason to vote.

More specifically, Congresswoman Baldwin has consistently voted against anti-abortion legislation, including bills that ban partial-birth abortion; she was awarded a 100 percent rating by NARAL Pro-Choice America, noting her pro-choice attitude. Ms. Falk has also openly supported current Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager's lawsuit against the FDA in an effort to make Plan B available to women over the counter. Congressman Green, however, has voted in favor of all things anti-abortion, even going as far as voting against federal funding for international Family Planning organizations that work to provide information on abortion and abortion counseling.

Certainly these are not the only issues associated with these candidates, nor are they the only ones voters should think about when casting their ballots. They are, however, issues that hit about as close as home as it gets for women. Unlike so many of the general reasons we are given for going to the polls today, these are specific reasons that make it imperative for us to vote.

Emily Friedman ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism and legal studies.