Adult diapers for Democrats only

Make no mistake about it: the greatest asset the Democrats have is George W. Bush. His failed presidency has allowed the Democrats to hide behind Republican missteps for far too long. Yet the shelter that President Bush's unpopularity provides has rendered the opposition party complacent and lacking in ideas. As the mid-term election grows into a referendum on President Bush, the American public has slipped to a new low of political apathy, demanding no tangible policy solutions from the party that will control the people's house. And when the Democrats gain the coveted congressional majority this election, America will pay a steep price.

One week remains before the election and the Democrats have given us no real answers on the two biggest issues confronting our nation: Iraq and immigration. The most definitive answer on Iraq found in the party's election platform, "A New Direction," is that a Democrat-controlled congress will "hold the Bush Administration accountable" for its mistakes, yet it neglects to articulate a comprehensive plan to improve the situation on the ground. As troop casualties mount, can we really choose a party that would distract congress with impeachment hearings rather than seek a quick and lasting victory in Iraq?

Also, the Democrats' comprehensive immigration reform act sponsored by heavyweight Senator Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., the SOLVE Act, never once addresses improving border security or preventing new illegal immigrants from entering the nation, yet the act encourages illegal immigration by instituting a generous path to citizenship. The Democratic Party's plan is not just appeasement, it is pure negligence.

So what do the Democrats stand for? For a better explanation, let's look to the policy proposals they have made. Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., already hand-picked to chair the powerful Ways and Means Committee, has introduced legislation such as the Crack Cocaine Equitable Sentencing Act, which reduces legal penalties for large-volume crack possession. One Democrat introduced the Gas Stamp Act, which will mandate the federal government (read: our tax dollars) to pay for the gas of all those eligible for food stamps, as if free gas were a human necessity. Another representative introduced a constitutional amendment to guarantee affordable housing, a plan that would cost billions and fix nothing. One bill introduced in the House seeks to distribute condoms in prisons. Barney Frank, D-Mass., the presumptive chair of the House Financial Services Committee, has introduced legislation to have the government pay for adult diapers. High priorities, indeed.

The only thing worse than a rubber stamp congress controlled by Republicans is a rubber duck congress controlled by the Democrats. It is disturbing to think of a federal government so feckless as to be more concerned with the sex practices of prisoners and impeaching a demonized president than solving real problems affecting hard-working people. Americans are a smart bunch, but lately we have grown lazy, begetting the dismal state of affairs that confronts us. Yet we can redeem ourselves Nov. 7 by not falling into the unthinking trap of electing the opposition party for the simple-minded reason that it is not President Bush's party.

The Republican congress and president have proven themselves to be the most inept in recent history. Unfortunately, the Democrats seem eager to outdo them as soon as possible. So lower your expectations, America, and hope Barney Frank has a lot of influence in his party. We're going to need those adult diapers, because crap will be coming out of Washington.

Will Smith
([email protected]) is a freshman majoring in political science and religious studies.