Michael J. Fox ad highlights issues

Election season has become synonymous with political advertisements, many of which are argued to be attack-driven, mindless and generally disingenuous. On Nov. 7, issues ranging from gay marriage bans to the possibility of a complete flip-flop of who controls the reins in Congress, will appear on ballots across the nation. In an effort to make each and every one of us aware of these matters of contention, politicians have hit the airwaves in droves, hoping to have the last word in a debate that has become increasingly heated in recent weeks.

Partisan ads litter our television screens, interrupt our programming and simply annoy the hell out of us, consequently leaving viewers with a bad taste in their mouths that understandably makes us want nothing more than to forget the election altogether. College students in particular often argue that these ads do little to convince them to change their minds about the campaign issues, and politicians themselves admit that college-aged voters are not their target audience. But statistics showing that our parents and grandparents' generations still respond well to the advertisements provokes politicians to produce and air them on what seems to be a never-ending broadcast cycle.

With that said, and the fact that there is no politician pleased that the student vote continues to elude Washington hopefuls, it is imperative to recognize those ads that are not only positive but also honest, and do their part to help bring light to election issues in more reality-driven ways.

Actor Michael J. Fox, known for his role in the hit sitcom Spin City as well as his political involvement in the 2004 John Kerry campaign, is currently starring in a political advertisement that advocates for embryonic stem-cell research. The ad originally aired Oct. 21 during game one of the World Series but will continue to air throughout the coming weeks leading up to the election. Since its debut, the ad has been the subject of debate among both parties and is adding fuel to a fire that is sure to burn strong right up until the last ballot is cast.

In the ad, Fox, who has suffered from Parkinson's disease for more than 10 years, pleads with constituents to vote in support of stem-cell research. In the version of the ad that endorses Missouri Democratic Senate candidate Claire McCaskill, he says, "What you do in Missouri matters to millions of Americans. Americans like me." Similar ads endorsing candidates in both Maryland and Wisconsin will also air in the near future.

In addition to the message Fox explicitly promotes in these ads, his deteriorating health is visually evident in the clips and bears the brunt of the criticism surrounding the ads. Many believe the advertisement went too far and took the election issue to a personal level that will scare voters. New York Times reporter Alessandra Stanley described Fox's appearance chillingly: "His body sways back and forth uncontrollably like a sailor being tossed around in a full-force gale." The immense amount of discussion around these ads is not void of criticism, and you guessed it — Republicans are having a field day.

It was none other than conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh who was most eager to shoot down the ad as a demonstration of Fox's fine acting capabilities. Limbaugh told viewers, "the actor either didn't take his medication or was acting" during the ad. Such insensitive criticism, although not surprising from Limbaugh, misses the entire message of the ad. And instead of welcoming an ad that puts more meaning behind the issue and is sure to catch the attention of voters of all ages, he discredits it because of the emotion both portrayed by Fox and consequently likely felt by viewers.

The debate over which candidate is most worthy of the position in question in each of Fox's ads is not the primary issue. Instead, the criticism Fox and the Democratic candidates have endured for creating the ads shows just how disoriented Americans are with the entire election process. As we continue to complain about dated and overdramatic political ads, we are still not happy when a familiar face is willing to stand up for a cause that actually affects him.

Constituents need nothing more than another reason to vote, seeing as many don't seem to think there are any left at all. By welcoming a celebrity into a campaign ad, and one who could possibly be helped by stem-cell research, the Democrats have taken the high road, proving that there is, in fact, hope for the future of political campaigning. Not all ads have to include theatrical music and an aura of sleaziness. The truth works, too.

Emily Friedman ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism and legal studies.