Hold the pepper

After months of planning and speculation, Halloween 2006 is finally upon us. Considering the blitz of national and local news coverage highlighting the negative aspects of the party, it's easy to forget it hasn't always ended with pepper spray.

It is especially important for students to avoid irresponsible behavior this year, as a disaster resembling those in years past will be seen as cause to shut down the party for good. The mayor and Madison residents have made it abundantly clear that patience is wearing thin for the yearly disorder on State Street.

In 2001, the crowd was estimated at 60-70,000 and no damage was reported. Yet the following year, with police numbers cut from 100 to 50, $32,000 worth of damage was done to local businesses and the crowd was pepper sprayed and tear gassed in Madison for the first time in 30 years. In 2003, store windows were again smashed as a free concert at library mall backfired and the crowd dispersed into the streets at 2:30 am. Once again, pepper spray was used to control the gathering.

In 2004, the crowd peaked at 75,000 and 450 arrests were made — 57 of which were UW students. The police dispersed the crowd at 2 am with pepper spray. Last year, the largest crowd in Madison Halloween history was estimated and detox was filled. Police dispersed the crowd with pepper spray before violence erupted in response to taunting and chanting by 2,000 revelers who ignored loudspeaker warnings.

The goal of UW students this Halloween should be to start a new 30 year pepper spray drought. That means no cutting the orange barricades, not inviting all the guys from out of town you knew for 2 weeks during high school, and looking out for the safety of everyone around you. Of course, we will need restraint from the Madison Police Department to make this dream a reality, but if we avoid punching the horses and chanting for pepper spray, the pepper spray may never come. This board calls on the student body to have a happy, safe and responsible Halloween celebration.