Mudslinging dirties fall election

Election campaigns are in full swing across the state, gearing up for next month's election. The gubernatorial race has heated up with a debate in Milwaukee on Sunday during which the candidates discussed hot-button issues ranging from stem-cell research to the Kevin Barrett controversy, and college supporters of both Dave Magnum and Tammy Baldwin have flanked the voter registration table on Library Mall.

One of the election issues that affects most of us — and our wallets — is the affordability of a post-secondary education at the University of Wisconsin. Both Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle and U.S. Rep. Mark Green, R-Wis., have taken issue with each other concerning their handling of education on the state and federal level. Both even wrote editorials in September for The Badger Herald to present what they have done for education for the state.

The articles that the two gubernatorial candidates wrote completely contradict each other. Looking at some of the critiques of the other candidate's "sub par" performance on this issue, some of their arguments are not grounded in fact.

Mr. Doyle has accused Mr. Green of voting for Congressional bills that cut nearly $13 million in financial aid, froze Pell Grants and cut back student-support programs. Mr. Doyle claims that he is a champion for UW in order to educate a first-class workforce for the state. He also stated, "Ensuring a college education remains affordable is a vital priority for me." Less than a week after his editorial in The Badger Herald was published, the National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education published their biennial report on higher education. Along with 43 other states, Wisconsin scored an F in affordability, which is lower than the dismal D that the state received in 2004.

On the other hand, Mr. Green claims that UW tuition has increased 55 percent without corresponding financial aid increases for middle- and low-income students and that the state budget increased 20 percent while cutting $341 million from the UW System budget. This argument, however, is not based in fact. While the governor does present an annual budget, according to Section 5 of Article VIII of the Wisconsin Constitution, the Legislature, not the executive branch, is authorized to establish taxes to pay for annual state expenses, including UW. The governor may influence the budget and use line-item veto in the case of appropriation bills, but it is the (now Republican-controlled) legislature that controls the power of the purse. Mr. Green's argument is not based on the basic tenet of checks and balances.

When comparing what the two candidates have said on the issue of higher education in the state, it seems that their stances are in direct opposition to each other. Mr. Doyle accuses that Mr. Green voted for slashing financial aid, but Mr. Green claims that Pell Grant funding doubled since 2000. Mr. Green criticizes the governor for cutting the budget of the UW System while Mr. Doyle blames the Republicans at the Capitol for cutting the money, some of which he saved with his line-item veto. It seems that one side (or, more likely, both sides) has stretched the truth about the reason for UW's financial woes.

Both candidates have slung plenty of mud at each other about this university, and now it is the voters' job to wade through the stretched truths and political maneuvering to make an educated choice. Part of politics is using these tactics to convince (or confuse) the voters to vote for them. As voters, it takes a broad knowledge of government, economics and political science to use critical thinking to choose the candidate that fits our values and visions for the future of UW and the state. According to a Zogby Poll in August, three-quarters of those asked could name the Three Stooges, but only 42 percent were able to name the three branches of government. Many voters do not have this knowledge base in order to cast an educated vote in November. With the student vote possibly being the swing vote this election, educated voting for us is crucial.

Midterms are fast approaching and so is the midterm election. As we study late into the night for the next few weeks, we must also pay close attention to the issues that matter most to us for the election on Nov. 7. The state of the UW System has been a hot issue, and the college vote may be a crucial factor for the governor's race. We at UW have the power to choose the fate of our tuition rates, financial aid and our university. Only by taking time to see through the political tricks of both candidates can we make the best choice at the ballot box for both us and the university.

Jeff Carnes ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in linguistics.