City tradition loses its luster

For the last few years, there has been one event in particular that has had an almost defining impact on the University of Wisconsin. Magazines hailing UW as the No. 1 party school never fail to mention the gaudy number of revelers that it attracts to State Street. Local businesses look forward to it as a weekend that promises outrageous revenue, but dread it for the concurrently outrageous behavior. The city government considers it a thorn in their side, as it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars and pushes the capabilities of local law enforcement agencies to the limit. It is the specter that hangs over the city government every fall and the thought that sits at the tip of every student's tongue for months beforehand. The event in question, as many may have already surmised, is Halloween, and in my opinion, it sucks.

That's right, I said it. While this effectively spits in the masked face of one of Madison's most hallowed traditions, it must be said. As a veteran of the last four riotous Halloweens, the weekend has deteriorated from an anticipated event to a mildly dreaded occurrence that must be endured. The reason the event has become increasingly vexing does not stem from the idea of having a citywide Halloween party nor even the increased amount of civil regulation which accompanies it. Rather, the reason to be apprehensive about the weekend is that it has transformed from an event for the residents of Madison to a gathering place for everyone within a 500-mile radius.

While the idea of a party with 100,000 people makes us the envy of everyone who hasn't experienced it, the reality is that more people in attendance does not equate to any more fun. The event's reputation as a hedonistic playground where anything goes and consequences don't follow obviously precedes it, making it one of the biggest talking points of the school. But unfortunately, the expectations of enjoyment are rarely met by the actual phenomenon itself, as they are usually lost in line at a random University Avenue bar behind a drunken 30-year-old from a one-stoplight town dressed liked Tigger from Winnie the Pooh.

The problem with Halloween is that it has become too big for its own good. The lines everywhere become horrendous, which makes the first bar you go to your de facto all-night hangout. As a result, it is nearly impossible to meet up with different friends, instead forcing people into the crapshoot of choosing a bar and enjoying the company of an assorted collection of randoms and the aforementioned costumed Tigger. Additionally, everyone expects riots, which of course only increases their likelihood. But the most surprising aspect of Halloween is that it isn't even the best party of the year. That honor, of course, belongs to the Mifflin Street Block Party.

While it may seem hopeless, all is not lost for this venerable Madison institution. The reason Mifflin easily beats out Halloween in terms of enjoyment is that it is an event by the students, for the students. It lacks the presence of random out-of-towners who come to the city without knowing anyone and possessing a predisposition for causing a ruckus. Also, Mifflin has relatively little interference from the city other than the keg limits, and anyone who has been there knows that the police are more likely to use their pepper spray for photographic purposes than disciplinarian ones.

This year, the city is taking new steps to control Halloween, but there are a few changes they could make that would alter the dynamics of the event in a manner that would be beneficial for both the students and the city.

First, instead of charging every entrant going onto State Street the same amount, there should be a progressive pay scale. For example, students pay $5, city residents pay $10 and people who are neither students nor residents pay $15. Second, the city can decrease the number of available tickets and make it possible for students to purchase them beforehand. This would create a disincentive for out-of-towners and non-students to come to the event, making it easier for residents to enjoy their city on one of its marquee weekends. Further, it would transfer the brunt of additional costs the weekend generates to the people most responsible for causing them, namely out-of-towners.

It is time for the city to start a return to a simpler time, when the bacchanals of Madison, such as Halloween, were a pleasure that people realized was one that only Wisconsin students could, or should, enjoy.

Mike Skelly ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in finance and political science.