Vigilance needed to combat crime

Dear Editor,

I'm glad that several of your recent articles have been focused o n the attacks that have occurred on or near university grounds.

Campus crime rates rise almost every August. The recent string of assaults, which emerged in the Spring, is particularly alarming because of the violent means of the attacks and the proximity to student apartments, residence halls, and commonly-frequented hangout sites.

ASM's Campus Relations Chair and I met with the Chief of University Police Susan Riseling and Assistant Chief Dale Burke to discuss how street safety is a foremost concern of students and what strategies can be used to reduce the number of muggings and attacks on campus.

Chief Riseling explained how the recent strikes have been fairly organized, with a car sometimes scouting out the victim. Most of the summer targets were young men, usually overpowered by multiple offenders. According to the Chief, the key strategy for preventing crime is to educate students and convey tips for walking at night including "never walk alone," "trust your instincts," and "don't show signs of intoxication." The victim is never to blame, but the aforementioned tips are effective ways to help prevent attacks.

I'm trying to identify a more active way to fight campus crime than to simply deliver a message. Increased police surveillance and patrolling would be reassuring, but having a cop at every corner seems like too much of an invasion of privacy.

Crime could be reduced through environmental design, such as increased lighting. However, I agree with Chief Riseling who said that lighting renders a false sense of security and could have a reverse effect on crime; more students might use a better-lit Lakeshore Path at night, but this could lead to larger target base for predators.

I think the first step is to set goals and brainstorm promising approaches to achieve those goals. Students interested in helping to create a plan to increase campus safety can attend ASM's kickoff on Wednesday, Sept. 20, at 7:00pm, TITU.

ASM and the Dean of Students are also co-sponsoring a Campus Safety Forum on Thursday, Sept. 14, at 7:00pm in B10 Ingraham Hall. The event will include an explanation of crime facts and statistics by Madison and University Police, a call to action by ASM, a presentation about SAFE services and additional resources for students, and time for questions and input from students.

Dylan Rath

Chair, Associated Students of Madison (ASM)

Senior, Business: Marketing and Management and Human Resources 715-340-9440