Their boots are made for walkin’

Feeling safe at night in Madison is something we have taken for granted. Increased violence in the downtown area — peaking with the recent beating of a 20-year-old female student on Langdon Street — has students on edge and the Madison Police Department on high alert. We commend their recent efforts to keep the campus community safe, but remind them that the problem is not alcohol consumption, but rather the lack of sufficient police presence and boots on the ground at bar time.

The MPD, spearheaded by Police Chief Noble Wray, seem more concerned with preventing minors from entering bars on State Street than making sure they don't get jumped on the way home. Actively raiding bars for fake IDs and juvenile drinkers is doing little for the city's crime problem.

Bolstering the number of police officers on the streets of Madison is allowed for in Mayor Dave Cieslewicz's upcoming budget proposal, and we strongly support the idea. Just as increasing the number of law enforcement officials seems so far to be curbing the violence on King Street, the same is likely to occur if deployed to other downtown areas. The officers must be deployed in a smart fashion, as well — patrol cars are rarely seen on poorly lit side streets, yet can almost always be found in excess on State Street.

Additionally, maintaining street lights and overgrown bushes — both issues that have made it easier for perpetrators to remain elusive — is essential in reducing the downtown crime. Adding and repairing street lighting is not an overly difficult task and is allowed for in the city's maintenance budget.

Sadly, we must recognize that any city of our size is bound to have spurts in crime, and it must be handled accordingly. The MPD should not have to be asked to protect downtown residents — nor should it be necessary for groups like the Guardian Angels to peg Madison as a city in need. The police should step up to the plate and confront the recent crime wave head-on.