FDA makes right choice for women

Well, it's better late than never.

Three years later, the Federal Drug Administration has finally approved the over-the-counter sales of the controversial emergency contraceptive, Plan B.

Plan B — commonly referred to as the morning-after pill — has been available by prescription since 1999. If taken within 72 hours of sexual intercourse, the pill has an 89 percent success rate of preventing pregnancy. The drug's manufacturer applied for over-the-counter sales in 2003 — more than three years ago — and has finally succeeded in expanding the drug's availability to those without health insurance and unable to pay for a doctor's visit.

This decision is nothing but good news for women everywhere. In fact, advocates of Plan B have argued that this legislation could significantly reduce the nearly one million abortions performed in the U.S. each year. Most important, though, is the fact that the availability of Plan B gives women of all classes another option when it comes to unwanted pregnancies.

The over-the-counter approval is not without restrictions — and rightfully so. Women who try to buy the drug must show a photo ID to prove they are at least 18 years old. Younger women must still have a prescription from a doctor. Also, the drug will only be available in pharmacies and health clinics, not in convenience stores or gas stations, in an effort to reduce sales of the drug to minors. Critics of the FDA's decision claim that limiting sales locations is not a failsafe solution; they worry that many 18-year-olds will buy the drug and pass it on to minors.

Duramed, part of Barr Pharmaceuticals Inc. and a manufacturer of Plan B, agreed to several additional components when the over-the-counter sales deal was approved. According to an FDA press release, Barr will monitor the enforcement of the age restriction by sending out anonymous buyers and will launch an education program about the drug.

This education includes providing health-care providers and consumers with basic guidelines about taking the drug in addition to a toll-free hotline that will be made available to answer any additional questions.

It is refreshing to see that the FDA was able to put aside political pressures — many believe that the delay in the decision about Plan B revolved around abortion politics — and has successfully achieved its goal of "protecting the health of all Americans."

Like any controversial decision, especially one surrounding abortion, there are critics, and this case is no different. In a New York Times article, pro-life advocates suggest Plan B's wide availability will be taken advantage of, and used instead of condoms or other methods of birth control — thus causing the rate of sexually transmitted disease to increase. However, it seems unfair to assume that a preventive measure — one that consumers are instructed to use only in specific instances — will be taken advantage of so blatantly.

As previously mentioned, critics also worry minors will be able to access the drug by having an older friend buy it for them. Yes, this is definitely a possibility, but a similar issue occurs — and has for many years — with alcohol, cigarettes and, even more recently, cough syrup. But nothing is foolproof; we should not punish the majority in the name of preventing misuse by a few.

Even more shocking are the arguments that claim that, despite their availability, the pills will still remain unused much as condoms often do. If this is theory proves true, then so be it. At least we can rest assured that we have done everything in our power to give women the tools they need to make smart and informed choices about their bodies.

It is time to realize that Plan B is not as controversial as it once was, and that in this day and age, when women are fighting in wars and holding high-powered executive positions — two changes that many never could have imagined just years ago — changes in medicine are only to be expected and welcomed.

Emily Friedman ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism and legal studies.