In UW’s best interests

At this juncture, it seems apt to reflect upon one of the more troubling story lines to cross the pages of this paper over the course of the past year. In the Paul Barrows saga, we have witnessed a story of polarizing proportions, and yet, at long last, we may finally begin to look toward a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

Sophocles could hardly have crafted this tragedy better, as truly few parties emerge with any hint of the dignity they held just twelve months ago. Ironically, it is Mr. Barrows himself who seems to have the greatest claim of vindication today, with the Academic Staff Appeals Committee having cleared him just weeks ago, as many of the allegations against him having failed to stand up to any acceptable burden of proof.

But many figures throughout Bascom Hall have been tarnished. The way sexual harassment allegations against the former vice chancellor were tossed about like a football strikes as disturbing. It seems that Susan Steingass, the independent investigator, failed to conduct a comprehensive audit, and she relied too heavily on administration officials to pursue certain allegations. Those same officials, in turn, relied equally on Ms. Steingass to pursue the same details. Trampled in the shuffle was Mr. Barrows, who ultimately was forced to confront these details himself in the ASAC hearing. When this moment came, Ms. Steingass' report and the school's subsequent disciplinary actions were suddenly stripped of their credibility.

Today, it is tough to know whom one is to believe. But it is easy to realize the circumstances reflect how far the ethos of the mighty has fallen.

Looking ahead, Mr. Barrows — in an interview with this newspaper — has shared a desire to remain at the University of Wisconsin. He claims to still be a Bucky enthusiast and points to 17 years of experience at this school as evidence of an investment in the community. To be sure, he doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

And UW ought to embrace Mr. Barrows as best it can. It is ultimately in the mutual interests of Bascom and the former vice chancellor alike for this institution to take a qualified employee and put him to work in an area that suits his talents and abilities.

For now, Mr. Barrows remains in court with Chancellor John Wiley. This is a sad situation that looks to furnish no easy or painless outcome for the Madison community. And if the best interests of all those parties involved are truly to be addressed, it would seem that a suitable settlement — whatever that may be — ought to be negotiated.

Ultimately, Messrs. Barrows and Wiley as well as the UW community will benefit the most from a Bascom environment fueled by cordial, professional relationships and qualified persons doing the jobs they deserve. After a year of reputation bashing on seemingly all fronts, it would seem high time for those people students admire to play roles of maturity, bury hatchets in the most fair and equitable manner possible and seek a joint means of serving this institution.

With an outcome like this, the final chapters of a Sophoclean tragedy may take a turn for the positive.