Obese must admit own fault

There are a lot of people in the world who have difficulty admitting their faults. These faults come in many forms varying from psychological to physical and are constantly being put on individuals that surround them; they are never at fault.

The problem escalates when these people finally recognize their problem but still fail to blame themselves for their circumstances. So, they decide to do something about it. Instead of confronting the problem and conquering it, they sue someone so that the rest of the world can find out through a long, drawn-out court battle that they have a problem.

On Friday, Governor Jim Doyle signed a bill that prohibits this very action in Wisconsin.

Senate Bill 161 was designed to prohibit individuals from suing restaurants for contributing to their obesity. This bill is a necessary addition to Wisconsin State law after several lawsuits across the country have held up the courts. It exempts food manufacturers, marketers, advertisers, distributors and sellers of food from any civil liability lawsuits regarding obesity-related health complications.

Sen. Tom Reynolds, R-West Allis, is the author of SB 161 and its predecessor last session. "The goal of my bill is to place responsibility on individuals for the choices they make," he said in a release. "Blaming the food industry does nothing to remedy the obesity epidemic or to encourage personal responsibility." All of the money that is being spent on litigation should be spent on education. Mr. Reynolds added, "At the same time, a restaurant should be accountable if they're misleading, if they misrepresent their product or break the law."

The problem is not the food industry, it is the consumers. The National Restaurant Association is working with the government to assist in introducing this legislation around the country. At almost every restaurant, there are a range of foods designed to fit different dietary desires; the problem is lack of education and motivation for personal responsibility. Former FDA Commissioner Dr. Mark McClellan told the Washington Times, "In a debate in which foods themselves are being held to be largely responsible for increasing levels of obesity, actual levels of caloric intake among the young haven't appreciably changed over the last 20 years." A 2003 study in the American Journal of Preventative Medicine suggested "A focus on increasing energy expenditure, rather than reducing caloric intake." The facts are simple: A person must burn off as many calories as they eat in a day. The content of the food does not matter, the amount of exercise does.

The irony involved with this law regards the identical bill proposed by Sen. Tom Reynolds and vetoed by Governor Doyle just one year ago. Although Mr. Doyle allowed this bill to slip by the first time, he did not fail to do so this time around. He defended his decision due to an indication of changing times in Wisconsin and since the frequency of obesity lawsuits has increased recently. Governor Doyle's spokesman, Dan Leistikow, told the Badger Herald, "At the time [of the governor's veto], these lawsuits just weren't happening in Wisconsin." Mr. Leistikow also added that the governor's action to sign the legislation reflects recent reforms in other states that have passed similar measures. "The governor certainly thinks it's reasonable that you just can't sue a restaurant because you're overweight," he said.

There is obviously a problem when obese people try to place blame for weight gain on anyone or anything, even if it means a lawsuit. What will they do next, try to eliminate holidays because they promote weight gain? Emphasis needs to be placed on education, personal responsibility, moderation and healthier lifestyles to create a healthier nation. SB 161 just brought Wisconsin one step closer to achieving these objectives by recognizing the source of the problem, the consumer itself.

Joelle Parks ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.