ASM must raise campus awareness

One of the strangest contrasts at the University of Wisconsin is the campus' attitudes regarding the Associated Students of Madison. While a select few are deeply passionate about all aspects surrounding the group and devote significant personal time to it, the majority of students on campus could not tell the difference between (insert candidate's name here) and (insert candidate's name here).

This overwhelming apathy is apparent after the recent third election for ASM was decided by an insignificant three percent voter turnout, a result that even an incumbent PTO member would be dismayed to see.

A recent article in The Badger Herald reported on the final election for ASM highlighted several students' approach to the election. While one student was mentioned as being an avid voter, the common thread between the others who did vote and those that abstained was a lack of knowledge about the candidates, the issues and the ramifications of electing someone onto ASM.

A conversation with a roommate about questions regarding the structure of ASM and its elections only yielded more questions about the process. Who are the candidates? What positions are they running for? What are the important issues? What does ASM actually do? Does anyone even care?

Most students are highly unaware of the role that ASM plays on this campus and the issues that surround it. ASM is a representative student government that advocates and organizes for student concerns. According to their website, issues that the group is currently confronting range from more 18-21 bar nights, text book rental, campus safety and diversity. Furthermore, ASM is responsible for providing free bus passes to the campus, so anyone who has ever rode the 81 from Memorial Union to Social Sciences is indebted to the group, even though they might never know it.

In articles detailing meetings of the ASM council, it is not uncommon to read about heated exchanges between members on some obscure subject of student services that most students either would not be able to discuss or may not even have heard of. This is due to a shared burden on both the students to familiarize themselves with the group and on ASM to strengthen its efforts to reach the student body. While fully dedicated to their cause, ASM seems to be too focused and insular to make a meaningful effort to revive the student body's interest in the group.

The resulting apathy and unawareness that is bred in the student body is a negative outcome for two reasons. First, it does not allow for more students to have an opinion in matters of student governance. This creates a system that does not always reflect current needs and isolates students from a body that can effectuate their demands. Second, it erodes the strength and legitimacy of ASM itself. By not fostering a more inclusive group or possessing an ability to attract broader support, ASM deprives itself of the tools necessary to construct an effective political instrument.

While ASM currently does not spark an interest in a majority of the student body, the situation does not always have to remain this way. For the group to be able to attract a larger segment of the student body, it is essential that the group raise its campus profile. If this means spending more money on elections and awareness events, it can only benefit ASM in the long-run. By creating a greater knowledge of the role and functions of ASM, it can increase the number of students who would actually feel informed enough to make a competent decision and vote.

While it might take time, with effort, the election could eventually turn out a large enough percentage of voters that would make even an incumbent South Dakotan jealous.

Mike Skelly ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in finance and political science.