War referendum inappropriate

Although the April 4 elections in Wisconsin were originally intended to determine new County Board officials, this year a small, additional vote has snuck its way onto the ballot. The Troops Home Now referendum asks voters for their opinion on the war in Iraq, regardless of the fact that it does not hold any sort of legal weight whatsoever. Rather, it appears as nothing more than a ploy for anti-war voters to show their displeasure by the actions of the current administration.

The war has accomplished more than some citizens have given it credit for, including eliminating a dictator, putting him on trial and overseeing three democratic elections. We cannot just pull troops out during the phase of reconstruction that is most crucial for the continued development of a new Iraqi government. Even though the United States has succeeded in training the military, they do not have enough experience to take on higher-ranked positions as leaders. Even Congress seems content leaving the troops for now. Nov. 11, 2005, John Murtha, D-Pa., called for a withdrawal of our troops from Iraq. The U.S. House of Representatives voted against it almost unanimously, 403 to 3. This resolution was very similar to the referendum that Wisconsin is facing and will hopefully have the same end result.

The referendum is not a matter of the draft or anything of its kind. The men and women of the United States that are in Iraq are there because of their chosen profession and desire to protect American ideals. These people are fighting for freedom — something that the United States is supposed to protect and value; yet something many are taking for granted. Support of the troops depends on the support of the war. Placing the Troops Home Now referendum on the ballot further discourages them and creates further separation among Americans who vary in opinion on the war.

Freedom is the most valuable commodity that exists. Consider those who are protecting it; they are doing so by choice. It is their duty to protect the United States and show foreign individuals what the United States is and what it stands for. April 4, is more than just another election — it is the chance to show U.S. troops that the people of Wisconsin are behind them and appreciate their efforts. Maybe other states should add a referendum to their ballots called the Support our Troops referendum to show them that the United States cares.

Joelle Parks ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.