Lapidus best candidate for County Board

Students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison always seem eager to voice their opinions on topics that affect their personal lives, so it should have been no surprise that the four possible candidates in the primary election in February for the 5th District Dane County Board were UW-Madison students. Since this supervisor has the ability to influence Madison as most students see it, it seems appropriate that a student be on the Board to communicate the needs of the area of Madison that is mostly comprised by students. After eight years, current 5th District Dane County Sup. Echnaton Vedder will resign his seat to a newly elected member of County Board. The candidates for the position have been narrowed down to two UW-Madison students for the general election April 4. Student votes can determine the outcome of the election, and so it is essential that students vote, and vote for the most suitable candidate at hand: David Lapidus.

Although Mr. Lapidus is only a freshman, there is nothing juvenile about his ideas for County Board. Some of his main concentrations would be campus public safety, increased research opportunities for faculty and students and lower property taxes. These plans hold a valid intention: If elected, Mr. Lapidus would earn $7,000, of which he intends to donate half of to continue the SAFEride program for students. In the community, he plans to deter programs that would waste taxpayer money, like light rail, and consolidate environmental services in county government to improve the water quality of Lake Mendota.

He has also gained experience at the state level with Illinois state Rep. Beth Coulson, both as a volunteer and a paid intern. In a press conference held in December, he added that his previous experience has taught him not only about the legislative process but also about the importance of honesty in politics. At a more local level, Mr. Lapidus serves as an elected member of the Student Services Finance Committee. Through his contributions, he has demonstrated the ability to handle fiscal responsibility through strong leadership skills.

Dane County Board elections should not depend on a party affiliation, and that is why Mr. Lapidus has stressed, "I ask all students to unite with me. … We can make some real progress as a team, not as a party." His youthful presence on the County Board will bring the voice of students back to Madison politics. April 4, vote for a reliable and sensible UW-Student who wants what is best for the student body: David Lapidus.

Joelle Parks ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.