U.S. needs ally in India

Last week, President Bush made a largely unheralded visit to India — his first — to meet with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. Focusing largely on nuclear policy, Bush's visit yielded positive results. In exchange for American civil nuclear technology, India will open its nuclear facilities for inspection.

Bush's visit is an excellent first step toward solidifying relationships with a country that should rightly be one of America's strongest allies. Since the Cold War, America has sadly overlooked India when searching for strong partners in the Middle East, much to our detriment.

Perhaps India's most obvious draw for America is its booming, well-educated population. Business ties to India have been improving lately — to both America and India's benefit. India is one of the most heavily populated nations on Earth, making it a prime market for American products. Moreover, the thriving Indian economy is breeding a newly wealthy class that wants American products.

But India's importance goes far beyond economic. The interplay of geostrategic importance and commitment to democracy makes India the ideal partner for America in an era when old alliances look increasingly uncertain and new and unsavory players are rising to threaten the status of democracy and freedom around the world.

As part of the greater Middle East, India can play a significant role in aiding America in fighting the War on Terror. Our other allies in the region are clearly questionable at best. Saudi Arabia continues to fund radical Wahhabi Islam throughout the region — exactly the same brand of extremism that led to the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. We must remember, too, that the Saudis have a close financial relationship with terrorist groups such as al-Qaida. Our other major ally in the region is Pakistan. A country run by a general who has, at best, been reluctant to embrace democracy, is hardly a fit ally in a war whose primary goal is democracy promotion. Pakistan's intelligence agency also has close ties to terrorism — these largely through running guns and money for the jihadis in Afghanistan. Neither of these countries can truly be considered a close ally — rather, these are alliances of convenience based more on American shortsightedness in the foreign policy realm than on a true intersection of interests.

As a multiethnic country with a large Muslim population, India has proved its embrace for American ideals. All of its citizens have equal rights. Its democracy is healthy — elections are regular and untainted by the corruption that plagues so much of the region. Indeed, political scientists will tell you that India has defied all the traditional obstacles to democracy: although it is a multiethnic, relatively poor state, it manages to keep a parliamentary system with many parties going.

The other major benefit to a close alliance with India lies in its ability to block Chinese ambitions in the region. From selling weapons to the Janjaweed in Darfur to cracking down on various dissident movements at home, China's dealings have been far from noble. Yet despite its cozying up to various third-world thugocracies and repressing democracy domestically, America is growing more and more dependent on the Chinese Communist Party and the country it runs. India is a far more logical ally in the region, and should be bolstered by America against the rising Chinese tide.

India is not perfect. It has not, for example, signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty. However, it is taking steps in the right direction, and needs to be helped along by a friendly United States. President Bush's deal to allow inspectors into Indian nuclear facilities is a concrete step in the right direction. As America demonstrates its support for India, the country will continue to put forward good faith efforts at transparency.

With a strong friend in the United States, India will be far more willing to take further steps along the right path. With the growing power of the Saudis and Pakistanis in the Middle East, and the rising might of China in Asia, America needs to find new allies that embody our ideals to the rest of the world. India is precisely such a power. We must do more to bring her closer to us.

Steve Schwerbel ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in international studies, political science and history.