The dawn of a new era

In announcing yesterday that Patrick Farrell will become the next provost of the University of Wisconsin, Chancellor John Wiley permanently filled the first of many interim posts atop Bascom Hill and helped usher in a new era for the University. By considering the candidates available through lengthy elimination process, Mr. Wiley made a wise decision and should be applauded for bringing a reputable, intellectual and promising leader into one of the school's premier offices. We trust it was not an easy decision for the chancellor, but we also firmly believe it was the right one.

Mr. Farrell will formally take office April 3 of this year, but the reality is that he will start work today, acclimating himself with key community figures and familiarizing himself with the complex inner workings of Bascom Hall. He takes over at a unique point in this school's recent history and faces a difficult job, but we are confident he is up to it.

Foremost, Mr. Farrell will be charged with helping to repair a strained relationship between UW and the state Legislature, one that has led state and university officials alike to refer to State Street as the "longest mile in Wisconsin." It is a mile he ought to walk often, helping to show members of the Assembly and Senate that UW is one of America's foremost research institutions and a resource that will only work to the state's advantage if treated and funded appropriately. Nearly all the qualms to emerge from the Capitol over the past several months with regard to UW have revolved around matters of personnel and Mr. Farrell, we trust, can demonstrate that the shared goals of both ends of State Street far exceed the possible misdoings of those who have erred on campus this past year and, in most cases, moved on.

Moreover, Mr. Farrell will bring his technical background from the School of Engineering, an important asset for a man charged with helping to oversee one of the foremost research institutions in the world. UW is respected as both a national university and leading hub of the sciences, spanning from stem cell research to technical development. This is a reputation that must be closely guarded, as the public has come to expect groundbreaking discoveries from this university and the students of tomorrow deserve no less.

Indeed, while we congratulate Mr. Farrell on his new position and Mr. Wiley for his wise decision, we also remind the school's new chief academic officer that the job he has signed up for is not an easy one and a great number of people are relying on him.

As Stan Lee once wrote, "With great power comes great responsibility."