Blame for crime misplaced

The University of Wisconsin-Madison is the home to some of the most intelligent students in the United States due to its diverse array of class and student life. Students at the UW are involved in many facets of college life. There are numerous organizations, clubs and athletics available to meet as many diverse interests as possible. It is likely that stereotypes will rise about the larger, more popular groups, but it takes a strong person to overcome these beliefs. Hate crimes committed by UW students not only embarrass the school but also the programs in which the students participate.

Two UW students appeared in court Jan. 17 facing felony charges of disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property in regard to the hate crimes committed Dec. 21 in Ogg Residence Hall. The incident was reported as follows: UW students Benjamin Chamberlain and Michael Riha, with the help of visiting friends Kevin Cochacki and Caleb Moore, allegedly wrote "I hate f-cking f-ggots! Die" and also spit on and ripped down gay-themed posters that were posted on an LGBT liaison's door. The group then reportedly left the dorm and Mr. Chamberlain yelled, "I hate f-cking f-ggots. I hate f-cking liberals," on the way to their destination.

An article written in The Badger Herald Jan. 19 also included with the hate crime report that "According to court documents, Chamberlain is a U.S. Marine ROTC student, and Riha, Cochacki and Moore are all members of Sigma Chi fraternity at their respective universities." A similar article that appeared on the front page of The Capital Times Jan. 18 reported that "Riha then reportedly took the men to the Sigma Phi frat house to avoid trouble … "

These additions to both articles are not only unnecessary but also incriminating. The Capital Times made the mistake of providing false information, since Sigma Phi and Sigma Chi are two different fraternities on opposite ends of campus. It implies that the men of this fraternity support the actions taken by one of their members. At the time, Mr. Riha was a pledge for Sigma Chi and intended to move into the fraternity house this semester before the incident occurred. The men of Sigma Chi are not treating this event lightly.

It is true that many within the Greek system may share similar beliefs and hobbies, but this should not imply that they condone inappropriate behavior in any way.

The stereotypes of fraternities and sororities are often times exaggerated. The boys are supposedly cocky, dress preppy and have numerous sexual partners. The girls have rampant eating disorders, wear too much makeup and are stupid. The entire Greek system is composed of rich, white, out of town boys and girls who drink their way through college at the expense of their daddy's wallet.

As idiotic as these descriptions sound, people believe them.

One anonymous comment made after The Badger Herald ran its story on the incident read: "I think Sigma Chi fraternity should take action against this member of their house. They are basically saying what its member did is fine by allowing him to come live at their house after what he's done. If I was Greek right now, I would see this as another reason for people to assume that Greeks are bigots. The Greek Community needs to stand up against this particular action and against this attitude in their community."

If people assume that "Greeks are bigots" then they can blame themselves for being so uniformed. It is impossible for one student to represent the members of the 45 Greek organizations at the UW. The Greek Community is represented in other groups throughout the entire campus. It is also responsible for many philanthropic events that last year accumulated to over 7,000 hours of service. The all-campus women's GPA average for last spring was 3.283 and the all-sorority campus average was 3.290 with one house averaging a 3.674.

The Greek system at UW encompasses more than drinking and partying, although this aspect is sometimes overlooked by those not involved. It takes issues such as hate crimes very seriously and will recognize the allegations at hand. The Greek system will continue but cannot move forward to overcome negative connotations as long as its stereotypes are understood as the truth. Regardless of an individual's affiliation with an organization, it is important to realize that one's actions do not represent a group's beliefs or values as a whole.

Joelle Parks ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.