State Republicans tied to trivial issues

For the past few years, state government in Wisconsin has been locked in a stalemate by the back-and-forth politics of Jim Doyle and the state Legislature. Like clockwork, the Republican-controlled Assembly and Senate will send a bill to the governor, only to have the proposed law sent right back to their chambers via Mr. Doyle's veto pen.

Usually, in such instances, both ends of the deadlock are equally accountable for the inability to find a middle ground.

But recently, Wisconsin is being held back because Republican legislators refuse to compromise with a governor offering moderate proposals to end the gridlock in Madison. More troubling, however, is the fact that the legislation being force-fed to Mr. Doyle would accomplish nothing even if signed by the governor.

Recently, Gov. Doyle vetoed a bill that would have obligated doctors to notify a woman undergoing an abortion that her fetus could feel pain. Disregarding the disputed merit of the bill's claim, the idea that lawmakers are wasting time and money on such issues is outrageous. This is only the latest instance of a Republican Party hell-bent on dominating the political agenda by relegating public discourse to initiatives that won't solve any problems but will assure them the passionate support necessary to win elections.

In a game that Republicans have played at every level of U.S. politics for the past decade, matters of extreme importance to Americans are brushed aside each election season by sensationalist issues certain to rile up the electorate.

The presidential election of 2004 saw the manufactured issue of gay marriage pop up at many states' polling places. Had there been much discussion of gay marriage before the election cycle? No. Has the issue significantly faded since? Yes. However, for four months, Americans were practically warned that under President John Kerry, unions between members of the same sex would not only be legal, but obligatory.

Remember Terri Schiavo? Granted, it was laughable to hear Sen. Bill Frist assure us that, after having seen a photo of her on television, Schiavo would be back to her old self in no time. However, focusing the attention of the federal government on her debacle hardly improved the quality of life for Americans.

Eventually, some questions must be begged: How much longer can Republicans thrive by depending on the exploitation of raw emotions rather than by practicing good governance? At what point will the perfume of genius political strategy prove insufficient in covering the stench of incompetence?

Certainly the Republican Party has enjoyed recent success at the polls because of its ingenious strategy, but the bubble has got to burst eventually. Before long, it seems Americans will be forced to consider the quagmire in Iraq, the stagnant economy, the bungled government response to recent disasters, the domestic spying and the constant Republican corruption and say, "Enough is enough."

You can bet the conservative masterminds are already slaving away into the wee hours of the morning, figuring out exactly how they'll pull off an upset in 2006. It will be interesting to see what rhetoric the think tanks can create to get Joe Heartland pissing and moaning about "those damn liberals."

Though I sincerely hope that the concept of "diplomacy" can soon be reinstated as policy, and that health care, the economy, the war and other serious issues will be addressed next election season, I would be a liar if I did not admit I am secretly excited to see what brilliant new concepts the Republicans cook up to once more divide the electorate and save their own behinds.

Karl Rove claims the big issue will be security. Are Republicans even trying anymore? I think they can come up with something at least a bit more outlandish than that.

Rob Rossmeissl ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism and political science.