Culture of intolerance spawns actions of hate on campus

This student is not shocked. Contrary to the naíve opinions of many on this campus, the University of Wisconsin isn't all that great a place to be if you are a minority. Sure, the athletics are competitive and the parties wild, but discrimination runs rampant, and a campus hate crime making headlines was bound to happen.

In an article published in last Friday's edition of The Badger Herald, several representatives of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Campus Center were quoted as saying that they, too, were unsurprised by the alleged hate crime.

Though most already know the details of the crime, I'll offer a brief review. Benjamin Chamberlain and Michael Riha, as well as two out-of-state friends, allegedly wrote discriminatory phrases on an LGBT liaison's door in Ogg Hall. In addition, they spit on the door and ripped down surrounding LGBT posters. The four students face 17 felony charges.

This particular accusation would have been hard to ignore, and, thankfully, it was reported to authorities. According to LGBTCC Director Eric Trekell, this is often not the case. Students who face discrimination often feel it's useless to report crimes because "nothing will be done."

It is extremely sad that students on our campus feel this way.

The attitude that "nothing will be done" is almost as common on our campus as the hatred and discrimination that causes too much pain to too many of our fellow students.

Some examples: hazing that continues to occur but is never reported; people referring to things or people as "gay" without thinking twice; and people labeling others as JAPS (Jewish American Princesses/Princes) without realizing the possible anti-Semitic connotations.

These examples clearly are not as serious as the alleged hate crime on campus, but they are equally relevant to the discussion of discrimination. Ignorance is not bliss; ignorance is the common denominator in all hate crimes.

I would be willing to bet that people like Chamberlain, Riha and their two friends constantly use the term "gay" and see nothing wrong with it. Perhaps they come from communities with a small or non-existent gay community or maybe they are products of their parents, as all of us are to one degree or another. This certainly should not be used as a mitigating factor in their defense. It only poses important questions about how a society plays a role in the actions of other members of the community. Hate crimes do not just happen, and when they do, it is imperative to step back and ask, "Why?"

In a press release from UW entitled "Sapiro: No place for hate at UW-Madison" published Jan. 20, a list of resources and programs were listed "for members of the campus community interested in learning more about LGBT issues." It is great these resources exist, but I am skeptical that many students seek them out and convinced that resources and programming of that nature cannot compete with a peer's advice, opinion or pressure to stop using derogatory terms without understanding exactly what they mean.

In other words, we all need to speak up when we hear the careless use of hurtful language — to say nothing of when we see discrimination in action. Silence is not the answer.

Emily Friedman ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism and legal studies.