Traditional important for schools

It's a good thing the University of Wisconsin chose Bucky Badger as its mascot and is able to avoid the mascot controversy. At any given school, the mascot is the one thing that can fire up a crowd at a big game and create an atmosphere of school spirit. To take away something so important to the tradition and uniqueness of a school without valid concern is absurd.

Unfortunately, State Superintendent of Public Instruction Elizabeth Burmaster does not agree. She recently sent letters to Wisconsin school districts asking them to eliminate their American Indian mascots and logos because "stereotypical logos can hurt our children, albeit unintentionally."

A press release on Dec. 30 by Religious Americans Against 'Indian' Nicknames & Logos (RAAINL) has expressed support for the Department of Public Instruction. They also claim "this educational hurdle is uniquely faced by American Indian students because no other race of people is routinely used against their wishes as good-luck charms by predominantly White schools."

Has RAAINL ever heard of a school called Notre Dame?

The Indian mascot controversy has roots all over the United States and even in the NCAA. There are many schools that value Native American culture and strive to educate students in an interactive manner. Take, for example, the University of Illinois, whose mascot is Chief Illiniwek. The chief may appear to be involved in the same stunts as Bucky, but in fact, his role is much different. He does not participate in cheerleading activities or the like, but rather performs an elaborate dance to university music clad in full tribal costume.

This tradition began in the 1920s as a halftime show and grew into a cherished school tradition. Every part of this tradition is directed toward Native Americans in a respectful way. The Chief Illiniwek website states, "Not only do we want to honor the Chief, but we wish to offer a higher vision of the tradition and its future value, and encourage research and educational efforts that preserve, respect, and reaffirm our Illini heritage."

The term "Illiniwek" was coined by Coach Bob Zuppke, who studied the Illini people thoroughly and learned that it refers to the complete human being — the strong, agile human body, the unfettered human intellect and the indomitable human spirit. This term reflects the university's mission to produce well-rounded students. Since the Illinois region consisted of several tribes, they scattered in separate directions, causing differences in language, culture and tradition. The University of Illinois has exceeded in keeping Chief Illiniwek culturally accurate. Students who are chosen to portray the chief spend time on Indian reservations in order to better understand their culture. The current rawhide outfit was made by the wife of Frank Fools Crow, the elderly chief of the Ogala Sioux tribe of South Dakota.

Some schools may not be as devoted as the University of Illinois and, in that case, the local community should be responsible for the change. John Ashley, executive director for the Wisconsin Association of School Boards, agrees. The situation in Galesville, Wis., has shown that the community overwhelmingly supports keeping the district's nickname and Indian chief logo. Harold Olson, Galesville school board chairman, has said opposition to the logo and nickname has not come from local Indians, but from those outside the district and a few local non-Indian families. In cases where local Native Americans feel that an Indian mascot is inappropriate, then it should be considered for removal, but not when a few general people feel that discrimination is taking place.

If state and NCAA officials want schools to eliminate Indian mascots, what's stopping them from insisting that their school terminate other discriminating organizations like the Boy Scouts, Eagle Scouts, Girl Scouts, Indian Princesses and other groups of the sort? It should be assumed that these organizations teach children improper stereotypes that are derogative and racist and hurt children, "albeit unintentionally," right? And don't forget about banning Thanksgiving, since children may get the wrong idea about Pilgrims and Indians.

There will always be someone who will disagree with any situation, but with correct balance of moral responsibility, such debates can be mediated on a case-by-case basis.

Joelle Parks ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.