From the desk of the editor in chief

This edition marks the final installment of The Badger Herald for fall 2005. We will be giving the presses a rest for the next month before returning to newsstands at the beginning of the spring semester.

As we prepare to go on vacation for the holiday season, a very warm thanks is in order to every one if you who have picked up our publication throughout this semester. The Herald takes great pride in being the largest independent student newspaper in America and we realize that such a claim would not even be within the realm of possibility but for the loyal readership of the University of Wisconsin student body. A tree fallen in the woods with no witnesses may or may not make a sound, but I am confident in saying that a paper left sitting on a news rack surely makes no noise. It is my sincere hope that you will continue to enjoy our product when classes resume this spring.

Looking back, it has been a wonderful and, at times, bizarre semester. Sex scandals abounded, the football coach called it quits, controversy enveloped student government with some modicum of frequency, police donned riot gear yet again and, perhaps most memorably, UW was officially tapped the top party school in America — a title students vigorously defeated week in and week out through the whole semester.

So we now buckle down for exams, prepare for our holiday break and hold in the back of our mines the finest of memories from the term that has been and the wildest expectations for the spring that will be. And as those expectations transform into realities, it will be our privilege to present the news every day.

Cheers,

Mac VerStandig

Editor in Chief