Rep. Green’s comments have merit

Let's face it. Madison is an atypical city. It holds the state Capitol, is the second-largest city in Wisconsin, houses a community and prestigious university, and is one of the most liberal places in the United States. As a conservative, bias is apparent in many aspects of this city, and although I have always held the utmost respect for those with opposing views, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz not only embarrassed himself but also the city of Madison when he criticized U.S. Rep. Mark Green Thursday.

Last Tuesday, The Badger Herald reported that U.S. Rep. Mark Green, R-Green Bay, referred to Madison as "Planet Madison" — a place with political views far from those found throughout the rest of the state. "It's not just about lowering the tax burden. It's not just about educational opportunities. It's also about protecting the values that I think have made this state special," Green said. "There is a Wisconsin way of life. Government didn't create it. Government shouldn't damage it. And, sadly, I think we're seeing too many examples [of that]."

Green continued by citing the recent debate about the teacher who assigned homework at a city elementary school last month that required students to write letters to elected officials demanding an end to the war in Iraq. The assignment was dropped amid a firestorm of criticism, including a letter from Green to the school's principal. "On what planet would it be OK to use students as political pawns?" Green asked. "Planet Madison. And it would be entirely humorous except — the bad news is — Planet Madison is running the state."

Although this example has received ample criticism, Green made a good point when he said that Madison's skewed values trickle down throughout the entire city. For a city that is so liberal and claims acceptance, it is disturbing when its citizens force their views on others. His analogy is not as extreme as it may seem, as Madison is very powerful city. As history has shown, it is a place of political discontent, a place where students have bonded with the community to fight for what they believe in, a place where every single person has the right to practice what they believe in and be respected. For students, it is not a campus bubble; it is a city that offers unending possibilities. It is a place where students can voice their opinion to the City Council and actually be heard and where even a student can run for Dane County Board.

Dave Ciewlewicz has done many great things for Madison during his term as mayor of Madison, and he will continue to do so. It was expected that he would defend the city that he loves to the best of his ability, but what was not expected was the manner in which he did so. Instead of defending Madison respectfully, he blamed conservative politics and their leaders. He made conservative values seem liable for the creation of billions of dollars in federal deficits, cuts to the Community Development Block Grant that fights homelessness and the undertaking of a war in Iraq that "costs $195 million a day with no end in sight." He went even farther to say that the policies and indiscretions of conservatives have created an "ethical quagmire" that has Madison citizens questioning the federal government's integrity.

So maybe Green's example of Madison being another planet is a little extreme, but it is not like any other city in the United States, so that may make outsiders feel threatened. To live in Madison is a unique experience. It is a place where education is a commodity that every one places importance on, because Madison offers the opportunities of a lifetime. Those experiences are what you make of them. For a city that does set precedence for the rest of the state, respect should be the number one concern. Sometimes everyone needs to be reminded of what respect is, especially prominent politicians.

Joelle Parks ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.