Staying safe through winter season

It is getting to be that time of year — the time of year when there is way too much going on at once. There are final exams to study for, papers to write, classes to pass, friends to see, resumes and cover letters to send out, family to visit, not to mention holiday and graduation celebrations to attend! Our lives are pretty busy right now, and many of us are feeling more than a little overwhelmed. This is also the time of year when our overall health and well-being is at risk. It's very important that we remember not to neglect ourselves. We need to do what we can to keep ourselves safe, healthy, and happy!

One thing that we are at an increased risk for this time of year is getting sick. The cold and flu can really slow you down, but there are several things we can do to prevent getting sick.

— Get a flu shot! University Health Services is giving them away to students — for free! No appointment is necessary, just walk in to UHS any time between 9 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday up until Dec. 21. It's the No. 1 way to prevent getting the flu. It's worth a shot!
— Don't get too close to others who are sick. Avoid close contact with people who are already sick.
— Wash your hands often.
— Avoid touching your mouth, nose, or eyes. Even if you do wash your hands often, you still might have some bad germs on your hands that could lead to catching a virus.
— Consider staying home from school or work if you can afford to in order to avoid spreading a virus to others, and to get some rest.

The cold weather, and the ice and snow that comes with it, can make traveling from point A to point B very dangerous. If you choose to ride your bike or moped in icy and snowy conditions, consider these tips:

— Replace your bicycle tires with ones made especially for snowy conditions.
— Be aware of the cars around you and keep a safe distance. Both of you are struggling with the slippery conditions and could loose control easily.
— Above all, wear a bike helmet. Even if you don't wear one the rest of the year, wear one during the winter, when wipeouts are more likely to happen.
— If possible, walk or take the bus instead.

Your stress level is, quite likely, at its peak right about now. Stress can lead to all kinds of problems like insomnia, aches and pains, emotional breakdowns, irritable moods, and maladaptive coping mechanisms. You need to address your stress.

— Make a list of all the things you have to do and tackle one at a time.
— Make healthy eating decisions.
— Physical activity is a great way to relieve stress, whether it is running, yoga, or getting on your hands and knees and scrubbing the kitchen floor.
— Take at least 20 minutes of every day and do something to pamper yourself and relax. As a reward for all the hard work you're doing, treat yourself to a 50-minute massage at UHS for only $35.

Once all the papers are completed and the exams passed, there will be lots of celebrating to be done. If having a few drinks is part of your celebrating, remember that moderation is the key to having a good time. Drinking too much can result in unpleasant and even dangerous consequences. Try to limit yourself to one drink or less per hour. Keep an eye out for friends who may have had too much to drink. There is still plenty of fun to be had without drinking to the point of vomiting all over and waking up with a horrible hangover. It might not be too bold to say that vomit and hangovers are actually the opposite of fun. If you do drink, drink sensibly and enjoy the good times with friends.

This advice might sound like common sense, and there is no doubt that you've heard it before; but the truth is, with all that is going on this time of year, sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves the way we should. So reserve a little room in your brain for these suggestions — they just might make your winter more enjoyable.

— Julia Harkins, Campus Safety Coordinator