Green’s comments declare animosity

Is it possible to make people believe you take them seriously after you publicly label them lunatics?

This is essentially the question faced by Rep. Mark Green as he runs for the Wisconsin governorship in 2006.

Last week, in a campaign speech, Mr. Green branded the city of Madison "Planet Madison," making evident his personal feelings about Wisconsin's capital. As Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz pointed out in a subsequent criticism of Mr. Green's comments, the public ridicule of Wisconsin's second-largest city is an interesting way to approach a campaign for Wisconsin's top political office. It seems Mark Green might find his message increasingly hard sell to Madison residents.

Unfortunately, the true burden of this debacle, while currently being carried by Mr. Green, would be transferred to the residents of Madison were he to be elected. Nobody living in the state's capital could feel adequately represented in state government given the denunciation by the governor.

Perhaps the scariest possible dilemma of democracy is to belong to a minority for which a majority-elected leader has shown a particular aversion. Usually, such an aversion is made clear through legislative action or ambiguous rhetoric. In the case of Mark Green's opinion of the residents of Madison, it was stated outright.

It is widely understood that Rep. Green must find a way to appeal to Wisconsin's more conservative voters, but chastising another group of Wisconsinites to do so is a highly questionable practice. Mr. Green, the epitome of a political opportunist, is putting off thousands of people. Through verbally insulting them, he is ensuring that many Wisconsinites will never be able to feel they have a friend in the Governor's mansion if he is elected. How can people trust and accept as their governor a man who has openly expressed his distaste for them?

It is hard to imagine why a candidate for a statewide political office would go out of his way to insult a large bloc of voters. One can hardly imagine Sen. Russ Feingold likening people from Kaukauna to a certain pungent odor that emanates from that city, or Gov. Jim Doyle expressing his hatred of anybody north of Stevens Point. Similarly, no such statement from Mark Green would be expected.

By showing his animosity toward residents of Madison, the state congressman is making certain that nobody from that city will ever be able to feel his governance is fair, should he be elected.

In a political campaign, candidates must focus on appealing to demographics likely to support them. For a brief period, overlooking those not receptive to your campaign message is acceptable. However, upon attaining a political office, one becomes a public servant accountable to everyone, in spite of any political differences. To disregard a faction of the constituency is a breach of the contract between public servants and those they represent.

Every person is entitled to an equal voice in government. Mark Green's recent comments give the impression that, under his leadership, the city of Madison would not receive the same level of attention as other parts of the state.

Madison residents must take Mark Green to task and demand that he explain his comments. The prospect of four years under governance that ignores the city is simply too dangerous. Madison residents have a right to feel they are represented in state government. Right now, it seems that if Mr. Green were elected governor that right would be violated.

Should Rep. Green continue to verbally attack Madison, however, voters must let him know that it is one planet he is not welcome on.