Atheist symbol deserves Capitol space

I know it may be hard to believe, but not everybody loves Christmas trees, holiday lights, tinsel, menorahs and all the other holiday decorations that decorate streets, buildings and stores during the winter months. In fact, the Freedom From Religion Foundation has made it quite clear that it doesn't like them at all.

The FFRF posted its "Winter Solstice" sign last week for the 10th-straight year. The sign, which has faced criticism and even incidents of vandalism, states: "There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but a myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds." The back of the sign reads: "State/Church: Keep Them Separate." In response to the past vandalism, an additional sign is visible and reads: "Thou shalt not steal."

So why is FFRF getting criticized? If Christmas trees and menorahs are allowed in the Capitol Rotunda, shouldn't FFRF's sign be allowed?

Not in the opinion of State Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford. According to the Dec. 6 issue of The Badger Herald, Rep. Suder refers to FFRF as "Scrooge" and hopes the sign will be removed from the Capitol. He also commented on the public's reaction to the sign: "We have had groups of individuals come down who have been very disgusted with the sign. They find [the FFRF] message to be both appalling and very disturbing." He also encourages "people to post 'pro-Christmas' signs or signs promoting their own religion in response."

Leave it to a state representative to make a mature suggestion to his constituents.

What, exactly, does Rep. Suder think the Christmas trees and menorahs are promoting? Certainly, if all religious expressions are not welcome in the Capitol, then all the ornaments should be removed, not just the FFRF sign.

For Rep. Suder to concentrate only on opposition to the sign is not right. Not everybody who lives in the United States, Wisconsin, or, even more specifically, who visits the Capitol Rotunda, is religious. In addition, FFRF is not asking for the Christmas trees and menorahs to be removed, but simply for their side of the story to be heard.

According to their website, the Freedom From Religion Foundation "is an educational group working for the separation of state and church. Its purposes, as stated in its bylaws, are to promote the constitutional principle of separation of state and church, and to educate the public on matters relating to nontheism." The organization believes strongly in promoting its beliefs and has said that its sign is purely to remind those who view it of "the real reason for the season."

Remember freedom of speech? Freedom of expression? Go ahead and criticize FFRF if you wish, but don't remove the sign — that is, unless you plan to pull the plug on the Christmas tree lights and blow out the candles of the menorah.

I won't hold my breath.

Emily Friedman ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism and legal studies.