Both sides now: Taking on alcohol, religion in Wisconsin penal system

Last week, the Wisconsin state Senate passed a bill with a vote of 76-15 in an attempt to become the first state to allow prison inmates to consume wine during mass.

Gov. Doyle has not said whether or not he will sign the bill. During the service, the inmates would be offered no more than two ounces of wine. The amount of wine offered to the inmates is such a miniscule amount that it would not have an effect on inmates, not even those with moderate alcoholic histories.

State Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison, is opposed to this amendment to state law and claimed that, "If this bill passes and is signed into law, Wisconsin will allow prisoners who are alcoholics to consume alcohol in prison," and concluded by saying, "This is not a First Amendment issue; this is a mental health issue." The bill clashes with state law that make it a crime to provide inmates with liquor, therefore trying to amend this law reflects matters of religion, which will always be controversial.

In times of peril, many people rely on their religion for assistance and comfort to recognize their mistakes and repent. Christian services allow inmates to forget about where they are and just be with God. With so many changes in their lives, it is comforting to know that religion is one of their rights that will not be infringed upon. Many Christian religions also recognize the host and wine as the consecrated body and blood of Christ. Not allowing them to participate in such a critical part of the sacrament is unacceptable.

Alcohol affects different people in different ways due to various factors. Age, gender, physical characteristics, amount of food consumed and certain medications can cause different reactions, depending on the person. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, one drink of wine is defined as five ounces. The average American man is 5-feet, 9-and-a-half inches and weighs 191 pounds and the average American woman is 5-foot-4 inches and weighs 164.3 pounds, regarding those between the ages of 20 and 74. The blood alcohol level after consuming one glass of wine for men is .02 and .03 for woman.

The inmates would not be consuming the entire five ounces; they would be consuming no more than two ounces, therefore not affecting their bodies in any damaging way. In most states, adults over 21 can drive with a blood alcohol level of .08 or below. It is one thing for prison inmates to receive wine at communion and completely different for those suffering from severe alcoholism, that which requires treatment involving hospitalization and drug rehab, to receive it. Appropriate judgment calls are necessary.

There should not be limitations placed on religion unless a person is affecting another in a negative manner. Unfortunately, this is not the case as religion is almost extinct in the public sphere. The only place that religion is allowed without controversy is in places of worship and during services. Limiting this right to prison inmates is not a right that anyone should be able to restrict.

"When you have that as part of the fundamental part of your religion and you are prohibited from using wine in the sacrament, you are impinging upon religious freedom," said Rep. Fred Kessler, D-Milwaukee. Prison is supposed reform inmates, not prevent them from one of the few things that still remain uniform in their life. To make someone suffer spiritually is a form of torture that no one has the right to endorse — not even the government.

Joelle Parks ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.