Bill could reduce state ethical lapses

This fall has been a tough one for politicians trying to combat voter disillusionment. Scandals, indictments and corruption charges dominate the political conversation and coverage every day on both the national and local levels.

As a result, dishonesty has become the underlying theme of this political season. It began in September with Tom DeLay's indictment for campaign finance violations and conspiratorial conduct with Texans for a Republican majority. It grew throughout October, fueled by accusations that Gov. Jim Doyle awarded state contracts based on campaign contributions rather than merit. Scooter Libby contributed his share as well, with a recent indictment for perjury and obstruction of justice.

Closer to home, former Wisconsin Majority Leader Chuck Chvala and former Joint Finance Committee Co-chairman Brian Burke plead guilty to felony charges of misconduct in public office. Three more representatives will face trial for corruption charges in February. These recent additions to the political fall-out of 2005 have left Wisconsin voters very unhappy — and they are willing to say so.

A poll conducted by the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, a non-partisan government watchdog group, said only 6 percent of Wisconsinites believe their politicians are representing the interests of their constituents. The overwhelming perception is that politicians are bending to special interests. Given that most of the recent political coverage has centered on dishonesty, self-service and corruption, can you blame them?

Of course not, but we can blame the Wisconsin state Legislature, which until recently, has done little to ensure that lawmakers conduct themselves ethically. It has been especially delinquent in the area of campaign finance, where conduct seems to take a particularly fraudulent turn.

This failure was largely a result of poor organization and insufficient powers of government supervision agencies. The two charged with regulating each legislator's conduct are the Elections Board and the Ethics Board.

The Election Board administers and enforces the state's election laws. It is composed of members of both parties nominated by the governor, chief justice and majority and minority legislative leaders.
The Ethics Board is nonpartisan. Its responsibilities include enforcing the state's ethics code and lobbying law. Members are nominated by the governor and checked by the advice and consent of the Senate.

While these boards may look good on paper, their reoccurring failure to prevent campaign finance law violations or administer any punishment shows a need for drastic change and reorganization.
State Sen. Mike Ellis thinks he may have the solution, and so far, 24 senators from both sides of the political aisle agree with him. His bill calls for the consolidation of the Ethics and Election Board into the Government Accountability Board. The consolidation is a logical and legitimizing step for the state government.

Campaign finance is a recurring stimulus for ethics violations and lawbreaking, or at least that is what recent charges against Messrs. Doyle, Chvala and Burke indicate. Why not improve communication and organization of these obviously intertwined oversight bodies by housing them in one agency? At this grim political point, it is worth a shot.

In addition, two key aspects of the proposed GAB would help restore legitimacy and reinforce ethical conduct. The selection process for GAB members would be less partisan and focus primarily on qualifications. The deans of Wisconsin and Marquette law schools and the Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court would submit nonpartisan nominees to the GAB. They will then face an approval vote in the Senate.

Sen. Ellis' bill also endows the board with an enforcement body — a no-brainer addition that should have been instituted long ago. With the power to investigate violations to election, ethics and lobbying laws, the GAB would provide politicians with a strong incentive to behave legally and ethically. In the case that lawmakers falter, an enforcement division could fine them or refer criminal cases to the popularly elected district attorney. If the state Legislature wants to demonstrate its commitment to honest and ethical conduct, there must be real consequences, like these, for lawbreaking lawmakers.
They should not be able to run from the consequences of unethical campaigning, and with a powerful watchdog agency nipping at their heels, it no longer will be an option. Bringing ethical conduct back to Wisconsin politics is exactly what disillusioned voters need. These legitimizing improvements will quickly translate to a happier voter population and a healthier democracy in the state.

Sen. Ellis' bill has already passed the Senate with bipartisan support. If it makes it through the Assembly, Gov. Doyle has promised to support it. While the changes can only improve political conduct within the state, it is a start. And hopefully, it will also be a finish to this fall's theme of ethically defunct politics.

Sarah Howard ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in political science and journalism.