Student excess leads to consequences

Costumes are being assembled. Friends are arriving from out of town. Stadium lighting and fencing have been ordered by the police department. The tear gas is ready. Halloween is only days away.

The final plans for this year's Halloween celebration were announced late last week, highlighting the different tactics the Madison Police Department will be using this year to control the chaos on State Street. Despite their many meetings, several proposals for different plans of action and even ideas from UW students themselves, Halloween is sure to be a disaster.

I don't like being pessimistic, but after witnessing the constant debate over this year's celebration and all the ideas that have been merged to form this final plan, I can't help but wonder how Halloween still exists.

Madison Police Department Central District Captain Mary Schauf outlined the recently finalized provisions of this year's celebration. One of the new additions to police tactics is fencing that will be set up along State Street, to prevent partiers from congregating in large numbers at certain "problem places," such as the intersection between Frances and State Streets. The fencing is moveable, so if problems do occur — and they probably will — police will be able to block certain parts of the street by simply moving the fencing accordingly.

In addition, police have warned students that house parties will be under greater surveillance by officers than in years past. In fact, the MPD has created house-party teams — each consisting of one sergeant and five officers — to be in charge of regulating house parties. So, should a house party get too big, too rowdy or too drunken — which most probably will be — teams of police will be available to shut them down.

There will be no teams of police to welcome buses of incoming partiers and explain the guidelines for the weekend. That idea was rejected, but police have still managed to reach those entering Madison from other universities and states. Fliers have been distributed to bus companies, and, come Thursday, will be given to passengers themselves, highlighting the rules that will exist over Halloween weekend and consequences should these rules be broken — which they probably will (quick summary: no glass, no open alcohol, no moshing and no aggressive behavior or pay a fine or go to jail). Police also are lighting State Street and installing a sound system so all combatants can hear and see what is going on.

The MPD as well as members of the Madison Downtown Coordinating Committee are patting themselves on the back for a job well done. Pleased that this year's plan seems more logical for the specific problems of the Halloween celebration, they are happy that tactics have finally been approved.

It is not that I do not approve and appreciate the efforts of the MPD, because I do. It is not that I am not anxious to see exactly what will happen come this weekend, because I am. It is just that I can't help but wonder if all this preparation is necessary because of a holiday that is traditionally for children who enjoy receiving candy from homes in their neighborhood. How did our Halloween get so out of hand? Some say it's the alcohol, and some say it's out-of-towners. I say it's Madison.

Whether it's a football game or a weekend-long party, it seems that UW students always strive to go above and beyond. We have the most vulgar cheers, the highest number of students sent to detox, and even an entire system dedicated to letting our parents know when we drink too much. And this is all without mentioning our No. 1 party school ranking. As fun as it is to brag to our friends who go other universities about how great our school is, maybe it's time to see that these components that mold our reputation may be exactly what takes our favorite celebration away from us. So, enjoy Halloween, the fencing, the lighting, the teams of police. It could be your last chance — and it probably will be.

Emily Friedman ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism and legal studies.