Both sides now: Executive’s budget cuts ignite a firestorm of controversy

Everyone wants and needs money, including Milwaukee's county budget. Scott Walker is the current county executive for Milwaukee and the first Republican elected to this position. He recently proposed a 25 percent budget cut, holding true to his promises on tax and government reform.

As county executive, Mr. Walker oversees a $1.2 billion budget, 6,100 employees and performs duties very similar to that of the governor, as he is able to appoint and guide an executive cabinet and exercise veto power. With all of this power, what makes him different from Gov. Doyle?

The difference is, according to a personal biography, "Scott knows you can't tax and spend your way out of budget problems; rather, you prioritize and make tough decisions." That is exactly what he was forced to do last week in Milwaukee when he proposed the 25 percent budget cut to achieve his promised tax freeze and avoid larger service cuts.

Many programs would remain unchanged, including park and cultural service and medical programs for the uninsured. As for the bus system, transit will remain the same but bus fares may rise up to 23 percent. Other changes are more extreme, like the court system cuts, but changes are necessary to avoid unbearable taxes.

The court system cuts may seem excessive, but Mr. Walker would not have proposed the cuts if they were impractical. Seventy-four out of 303 county-funded positions would be eliminated. These positions include some of the court commissioners who preside over initial appearances in traffic, civil cases and children's court cases, and also deputy clerks, law clerks and administrators. This would save the county approximately $4.4 million.

Chief Judge Kitty Brennan claims these cuts would reduce safety in courtrooms. Anyone who has had the pleasure of appearing in traffic court knows the immense danger that comes with sitting in a room with 100 other "felons" who failed to obey the speed limit. Or maybe not.

Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.'s department receives court funding for bailiffs and disagrees with Brennan's statement. Sheriff Clark believes there is never a complete guarantee of safety for anyone in the courts, regardless of how many bailiffs are present. He said using bailiffs part time and shifting them among courtrooms could work. These cuts would not eliminate all security, just unnecessary excise.

Chief Justice Brennan, however, has a different approach: restore $1.4 million for 19 bailiffs who are at risk for losing their jobs, and surrender $1.55 million the courts had required for 2006 over the 2005 tax levy. Last week she threatened a lawsuit against Milwaukee County supervisors if they do not restore judicial and court staffing in 2006.

In straight numbers, the county budget would increase 5 percent, which is equivalent to $58 million, creating a $1.25 billion budget. Property tax levies would remain exactly at this year's level of $225.8 million. Last year, despite objections, the taxes were raised 2.9 percent by the county board to achieve its current status.

Mr. Walker's proposal may seem overzealous but something has to be done before Milwaukee falls even farther into debt. Although his plan may not be perfect, it is attempting to solve the problem without raising taxes once again. The opposition in the county are claiming Mr. Walker's proposition as absurd and yet, referendum after referendum, voters have repeatedly stated that the courts should not rely on local property taxes. Money does not just appear, it has to come from somewhere, and there is never a good place to find it; if not from court cuts and other small changes, don't complain when taxed are raised once again.

Joelle Parks ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.