State turns a blind eye to Milwaukee

Most people who live in Wisconsin will tell you that Milwaukee is not exactly a shining beacon on a hill. While its condition cannot quite be described as abysmal, Milwaukee is simply a city that has been left behind. Sadly, if the University of Wisconsin successfully receives something it is currently seeking, Milwaukee will be left behind once more.

Recently, UW requested to rename its medical school the "UW School of Medicine & Public Health." One could easily dismiss this plan as attempting little more than a rearrangement of the medical school's title. However, to do so would be to ignore the impending changes such a shift would bring.

Last Thursday, Milwaukee mayor Tom Barrett and State Senator Lena Taylor passionately pleaded to the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents for a "no" vote on UW's request. Barrett and Taylor realize that, while it has never been never probable, the establishment of a public health school in Milwaukee might be made impossible by the foundation of a similar school in Madison.

The benefits a community receives from a school of public health are innumerable. Offering free vaccinations, free consultation and the opportunity for participation in test studies, these institutions help to save the lives of people disregarded by the private sector. It is perplexing then, that the first and perhaps only school of public health subsidized by the state of Wisconsin would be placed in economically vibrant Madison.

To say that Milwaukee's economy needs a shot in the arm would be a vast understatement. Wisconsin's biggest city is the seventh poorest in the United States, according to the U.S. census bureau.

Other statistics on Milwaukee poverty are even more alarming. In its 2004 report, the Milwaukee Continuum of Care (COC), a homeless coalition, reported that nearly 22 percent of Milwaukeeans — 125,000 people — live below the poverty line. Further, the report detailed that one in five Milwaukee tenants spend more than 50 percent of their income on rent. These statistics should be a wake-up call to all citizens of Wisconsin, but especially to those planning on introducing an important social service into only one Wisconsin locality.

Realistically, UW's medical school is presently better equipped than UW-Milwaukee's to handle the addition of a public health department. However, if the allocation of resources to UW for the foundation and maintenance of said department lowers the possibility of such a department ever being established in Milwaukee, UW's plan must be reconsidered.

Although there are many in Madison who could benefit from a school of public health, there is no justification for the city to be the recipient of this state-funded institution. The mere fact that UW finished first in the race to request a school of public health is not adequate validation for it to receive one.

Simply entering Milwaukee through one of its neighboring suburbs is enough for anyone to see the discrepancy in living standards between the city and the rest of Wisconsin. For too long, the people of Milwaukee have slipped through the cracks and been ignored by their state. It's about time that Milwaukeeans receive some assistance, and there could not be a better time for action than now.

Madison is a great city and would be made even greater with the addition of a public health school. However, while a school of public health would be a welcome development in Madison, it is an absolute necessity in Milwaukee.

Although the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents voted to permit UW to rename its medical school, it allocated one month for discussion between the UW Medical School and Carlos Santiago, the chancellor of UW-Milwaukee, on ways to increase public health education and various other health concerns Milwaukee faces. The two sides also apparently will discuss the possibility of a UW Medical School "branch campus" at UW-Milwaukee, and for the door to remain open for a school of public health in Milwaukee.

This suggests that the injustice of excluding Milwaukee is at least being considered. However, should the talks fall apart, serious efforts must be made by the state of Wisconsin to guarantee Milwaukeeans at least some of the services brought by a school of public health.

It seems that the state of Wisconsin has always turned a blind eye to Milwaukee, but maybe just once, Wisconsinites can ensure that the people of that city receive some of the help they so badly need.

Rob Rossmeissl ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in political science.