Bias against conservatives prevalent

John F. Kennedy once said, "Let us think of education as the means of developing our greatest abilities, because in each of us there is a private hope and dream which, fulfilled, can be translated into benefit for everyone and greater strength for our nation."

Everyone has the right to a decent education and the freedom to express their opinions. In recent years, the debate over religion in public schools has skyrocketed, but are students today discriminated against not by the color of their skin or their religion, but rather their political stance? From not reciting the Pledge of Allegiance to political conversations, the question has to be asked: where is the line drawn between what is acceptable and what is not?

Elections last year were the pride and joy of every conservative student in Madison. Most proudly displayed their Bush-Cheney stickers on their jackets and sported campaign signs on their doors. By the fifth "Did you vote yet?" phone call and the fourth knock on the door from students asking the same question, many became annoyed. Not because of the constant pressure to vote, but because of the statement that followed …"Who did you vote for?"

It soon became evident that these students were not concerned with whether or not the student had voted; they were more concerned with who they voted for. Most proudly stated their vote, time after time, and received harassment each time. It was enjoyable for many to watch Democrats take down their signs in lament. After being terrorized and ostracized for their opinion, there was finally one day they could stand proud to be Republicans.

When did "traditional" become "bad?" There are many traditions that stand undisturbed for centuries. Yet change is inevitable and necessary for growth, even at a gradual pace. Liberals, especially in Madison, are so open and willing to accept new ideas, but at the same time so disrespectful of the old ones. It does not make sense.

At a school as liberal as The University of Wisconsin-Madison, students are judged and graded by professors and teaching assistants according to their political stance. It is depressing to say that many students bite their tongues in fear of discrimination in the eyes of those who are supposed to be fair and unbiased. Grades are important. But what is more important: receiving a good grade for being polite or receiving a bad grade for standing up for what they believe in? Many students have confronted a very similar conundrum and all have made decisions of what to do for themselves. When did it become acceptable to tell people that their political stance is wrong? Actually, when did it become acceptable to tell someone that his opinion is wrong? It didn't, and therefore this behavior should not be allowed in the classroom.

People are open to critique and ready to accept it and defend their own ideas. But, when criticizing another, prepare for the consequences and at least have the self-pride to identify yourself. Mark Twain once said, "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." School is more than memorizing facts and dates and numbers, it is about growing into your own person. All around, The University of Wisconsin-Madison is the best place for an actual education.

Joelle Parks ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.